Legal Counsel - Regulatory Compliance at Fire and Emergency New Zealand, Wellington - Wairarapa
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Join a collegial senior in-house legal team
- Great Employee benefits!
- Flexible working opportunities
Be part of a Legal Team where culture and fit are just as important as our technical legal skills, and where mutual respect and the opportunity to “test your thinking” with your peers is an integral part of what we do.
Who are we:
Fire and Emergency New Zealand is a Crown entity comprising over 14,000 staff and operational personnel. Our vision is to build stronger communities and protect what matters most to the people within them. We provide a fire and emergency service that delivers for communities, and the firefighters who serve them. As New Zealand's most trusted public sector agency we always strive to live our values, which are:
We Do the Right Thing – Kia Tika
We Serve and Support – Manaakitanga
We Are Better Together – Whanaungatanga
We Strive to Improve – Auahatanga
Our employee benefits include matched KiwiSaver employer contributions of up to 6%, life and income protection insurance for eligible employees, and a wellness policy that allows for generous sick leave provisions so you can look after yourself.
About the role:
If you have knowledge of regulatory theory, compliance strategy or G-Reg, this Legal Counsel role will likely appeal to you.
We are looking for a lawyer to be part of our senior in-house Legal Team, providing high quality, specialist legal advice and support. While there is an opportunity to work with all groups and teams within Fire and Emergency, the primary focus will be to share the internal workload and assist us in providing advice to our Risk Reduction Directorate and its Regulatory Compliance Team. You can view our Regulatory Compliance Guide on our website.
Our team's work generally covers the areas of public and commercial law, as well as operational matters; and it includes:
- Statutory interpretation, including Fire and Emergency's legislative and regulatory requirements, its responsibilities as a Crown entity, Official Information Act requests, and advice on Privacy law
- Corporate activities including procurement, commercial contracts, property, information and communications technology (ICT)
- Legal issues regarding the built environment
- Operational emergency management
- Advice on internal and external publications
- Health and safety
- Investigations and regulatory compliance
- Litigation management for civil, criminal and coronial matters
This is a permanent role reporting directly to the Chief Legal Advisor. The Legal Counsel role is a hybrid-working role, with office days usually based in our National Headquarters in Wellington. The salary range for this role is $141,629 - $157,365.
What you'll bring to the role:
- A current practising certificate
- Previous experience as a lawyer with at least 8 years' PQE.
- Previous experience in a regulatory compliance role with a regulator
- The ability to influence and the desire to assist our organisation and consistently add value
- Experience in contentious matters
- A pragmatic approach and outstanding relationship management skills with both internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate at all levels
It is an advantage to have completed the Government Regulatory Practice Initiative's (G-Reg's) qualification in Regulatory Compliance (Core Knowledge) (Level 3).
Applications close Sunday the 2nd of October 2022 at 11.30pm
How to apply:
If this sounds like you apply now. To download a copy of our position description please visit our vacancy page on our website www.fireandemergency.nz. For specific questions about this role please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Fire and Emergency New Zealand|
|Location:||Wellington - Wairarapa|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Legal & courts|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.