Principal Data Analyst - Data Platform & Integration Lead at Office of the Auditor-General, Wellington - Wairarapa
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Principal Data Analyst - Data Platform & Integration Lead
Are you a passionate data professional with a deep understanding of technical practices? Do you thrive in a challenging and dynamic environment and are motivated by the opportunity to work in a role with exposure throughout the public sector and with Parliament?
The Office of the Auditor-General | Te Mana Arotake(the Office) aims to improve trust and confidence in the public sector. The Auditor-General is the statutory auditor of all public organisations, playing a major part in ensuring that New Zealand's public sector remains one of the most trusted in the world. No other organisation, public or private, has the overview of the whole public sector that the Office of the Auditor-General has.
The Office's Sector Performance Group assesses the performance of the public sector. We gain insight to the types of challenges that public organisations face, make recommendations for improvement, and identify areas of good practice that other organisations can learn from. Our Data and Analytics team, which is part of the Sector Performance Group, is responsible for the development, advice, and delivery of data and analytic capability to the Office.
As the Principal Data Analyst, you'll be responsible for leading technical practice in the team. Your expertise will be essential as we implement a modern, Cloud-based data and analytical platform. You'll play a pivotal role in overseeing the implementation process, from inception to execution, and ensuring the successful integration of this modern technology suite.
In this role, you'll lead significant data analytics projects for the Office and be a trusted advisor when specialist data and analytical expertise is required.
Your responsibilities will include:
- leading the implementation of our modern cloud-based data and analytics platform;
- collaborating with other teams in the Office to define requirements, design architecture, and establish best practices;
- developing and maintaining data models, frameworks, and pipelines to enable seamless data integration;
- providing technical guidance and mentorship to the Data and Analytics Team;
- conducting research, analysing complex datasets, and generating insights to support decision-making processes;
- driving innovation by exploring emerging technologies and recommending their integration into our analytical ecosystem; and
- collaborating with stakeholders to understand their needs and deliver tailored solutions.
To be successful, you'll have:
- a minimum of five years' experience as a senior technical leader, with proven expertise in technical practice;
- extensive knowledge of data modelling, data warehousing, and data integration techniques;
- strong programming skills in languages such as Python, R, or SQL;
- extensive experience in data science, analytics, insight generation, or data engineering roles;
- demonstrated leadership of several significant data analytics projects;
- demonstrated ability to communicate innovative and complex issues simply, clearly, and effectively, including translating technical information for non-technical audiences, and excellent report-writing skills;
- strong self-management and interpersonal skills, with the ability to mentor and develop team members; and
- a proactive mindset with the ability to lead and drive change.
If you're a forward-thinking data professional ready to lead the oversight of a transformative data and analytical platform implementation, we invite you to apply for the position of Principal Data Analyst at the Office of the Auditor-General. Join us in our mission to promote transparency, accountability, and efficiency for the betterment of New Zealand.
- Learning and development opportunities in data science and people management.
- Supportive, flexible working.
- Health and well-being benefits.
- A unique operating environment with Parliament.
What we stand for
People matter | Our independence is critical | We act with integrity and courage | We're here to make a difference
We have a diverse and inclusive team that helps us to understand the issues facing the public sector and how these affect the lives of New Zealanders. We strongly welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to tell us when you apply so that we can assist you through the recruitment process.
For this role, you must be able gain and maintain a Confidential national security clearance. Ordinarily, this means that you must be a New Zealand citizen, be a permanent resident, or hold a current residency class visa and intend to become a citizen when eligible. You must have a five-year checkable background in New Zealand, the UK, the USA, Canada, or Australia. Use this online tool to self-check your eligibility for a security clearance www.protectivesecurity.govt.nz/eligibility-tool (please note that this is not part of the formal security clearance process).
For more information, please contact Kim Humlicek at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To find out more about us, see our website: www.oag.parliament.nz.
You must apply online through jobs.govt.nz (you'll find the application form and position description there, too).
Applications close Sunday, 11 June 2023.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Office of the Auditor-General|
|Location:||Wellington - Wairarapa|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachment:||Principal Data Analyst position description.pdf (PDF, 165KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.