Senior Solicitor at Ministry of Transport, Wellington - Wairarapa
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Small friendly government agency
- Collaborative and supportive team culture, inclusive and flexible working
- Wellington CBD – scenic waterfront location on Queens Wharf
- Permanent Full Time (38 hours per week) or Part Time (min 4 days) considered
Interesting and varied legislative reform and design work that impacts the everyday lives of New Zealanders.
He kupu mō mātou Te Manatū Waka | About Ministry of Transport
Te Manatū Waka, Ministry of Transport has around 300 employees and is the system leader for the whole of the transport sector whether it's on land, at sea, in the air, or connecting Aotearoa to the world.
As the principal transport adviser to the government, Te Manatū Waka provides policy advice and support to Ministers to improve the performance of New Zealand's transport system and related Crown entities such as the Civil Aviation Authority, Maritime New Zealand, and Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency. Te Manatū Waka also manages the government's investment into transport, develops legislation and represents New Zealand's international interest in maritime and aviation affairs.
Ngā whakamārama mō te tūnga | About the opportunity
You'll be part of our Legal team providing strategic, high quality, and well-designed advice to Te Manatū Waka and Ministers.
Not only will you be part of a team creating forward-thinking legislative reform at a system level, you'll also work across the Ministry to support the Ministry on ensuring good practice in relation to matters such as privacy and statutory decision-making.
The Ministry's reform programme is bold and challenging. It includes varied and interesting stewardship reforms such as replacing the Civil Aviation Act 1990, inventive approaches to tricky policy issues such as the Clean Vehicle reforms, and complex system focused change through regular Regulatory System Bills.
This role offers a significant opportunity to grow and progress your career, alongside working on high profile and challenging issues across the transport system.
Te wāhi ki a koe | What you'll bring
- Along with your tertiary qualification in law, you will be an experienced solicitor with ability to hold a practising certificate
- Demonstrated experience in developing legislation
- Strong legal instincts as well as great initiative along with strong knowledge and understanding of public law and different legislative frameworks
- Excellent attention to detail, influencing abilities as well as strong analytical and communication skills that allows you to know what partnership really means and strive to be part of the bigger picture
- Be committed to developing your cultural capability and capacity to support Hei Arataki, the Ministry's te ao Māori strategy and to support the Ministry as an effective Treaty partner.
Whilst not essential, it would be great if you have some government experience, but if not, you'll be a person who easily picks things up along the way.
Te wāhi ki a mātou | What we offer
- supportive and flexible work environment, individual development plans,
- additional Ministry leave days
- range of health and wellbeing benefits including wellbeing days and annual wellness payment
- laptop, mobile and WFH equipment
- offices discreetly located right on the wharf with collaborative working spaces, showers, storage for bicycles/scooters and personal lockers.
- welcoming employee network such as the Māori and Pasifika, Wāhine, and Rainbow networks as well as the PSA and Eco Groups.
It's an exciting time to join Te Manatū Waka and the variety of interesting issues we lead, shape, and influence may surprise you. As a small, flexible, and responsive organisation, we deliver great results by working collaboratively across the sector.
We strongly encourage applications from people from all backgrounds, orientations and identities. We aim to have a Ministry that represents the wider Aotearoa that we serve. We champion diversity, inclusion and wellbeing and aim to create a workplace where everyone feels relevant, valued, supported and a sense of belonging.
The salary range is $100,976 - $125,000 per annum. The successful candidate will be appointed at a salary which reflects individual skills and experience.
Me pēhea te tono mai | How to apply
Please submit your application online including a cover letter and CV.
You will find a copy of the Job Description attached or online at www.transport.govt.nz.
For further information or to speak confidentially, please contact Dawn Kerrison, Deputy Chief Legal Adviser on firstname.lastname@example.org or 022 014 1953.
We will be screening and interviewing applicants as they are received and may close advertising at any time.
You must have the right to live and work in New Zealand to apply for this role.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry of Transport|
|Location:||Wellington - Wairarapa|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Legal & courts|
|Attachment:||Senior Solicitor - Job Description.pdf (PDF, 169KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.