Academic Instructor at NZ Defence Force, Auckland
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
What you will do
You will be delivering Electro-technology and Mechanical Engineering training to naval personnel.
This is a busy class room/laboratory based teaching role, working with groups of approximately 12 students typically aged 18 – 30 years old.
In addition to teaching, you'll be expected to:
- Maintain course material so it's relevant to industry and unit standards;
- Work on course development and planning;
- Mark trainees course work;
- Conduct assessments; and
- Maintain equipment used in instruction and associated administration.
What we need
We are seeking a person who will bring expertise in electronics engineering, electro technology and technical drawing. This experience enables you to prepare and conduct practical learning scenarios in a laboratory setting and deliver lessons in the classroom.
You may already be in an industry specific teaching position, or you may be working in industry and feel the time is right to pass on your expertise and turn your hand to more of an instructional/teaching role.
Whatever your current situation, you will be confident in your expertise, enabling you to teach it to others.
You'll join a team of instructors who have a wealth of knowledge and expertise amongst them, are diverse, supportive and passionate about the work they do.
You will ideally hold a tertiary qualification in electro technology/electronic engineering, and ideally a qualification in instructing and sound knowledge of the NZQA framework.
Who we are
The Academic School is one of the specialist educational and training units within the RNZN's Fleet Personnel and Training Organisation and its prime focus is to deliver the theoretical aspects of electronics and engineering training through subjects such as mathematics, mechanics, electronics, thermo and technical drawing to train Royal New Zealand Navy Technicians (Electronics, Propulsion, Electrical) to enable them to carry out assigned tasks at sea and ashore.
Every hour of every day, 365 days of the year, the New Zealand Defence Force is contributing to the defence, security and well-being of Aotearoa / New Zealand. As a modern, professional military, it is our goal to maintain well trained, equipped and disciplined armed forces that can react to crisis at short notice.
NZDF is an inclusive organisation that is open to flexible working arrangements and welcomes applications from people regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, age, beliefs/opinions, or family circumstances.
In return for your expertise, dedication and hard work, NZDF is offering remuneration reflective of your experience, along with:
- Great benefits for you and your family;
- Fully funded life cover up to $300,000;
- Access to holiday accommodation across NZ;
- Discounts Handbook for selected retail, entertainment and service providers;
- 5 weeks annual leave per year;
- Free onsite parking and great nearby amenities;
- Flexible working environment and positive culture;
- Opportunities for career development.
How to Apply
To view the Position Description and to Apply, please use the links on this page.
- The NZ Government has announced COVID-19 vaccine mandates covering all employees of the NZDF. Under the mandate, in order to be eligible to work within the NZDF, all staff are required to have received the first dose of the vaccine by 17 January 2022, and the second dose by 1 March 2022, and proof of your vaccination status will be required.
- Applicants will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug screening test prior to any offer of employment being made.
- If you are an existing NZDF employee (excluding contractors) you must apply through our Internal Vacancies site, via the HR Toolkit.
Applications close on Sunday 30 January 2022.
Please note: Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand (NZ) and be able to obtain and maintain the required level of NZ Government security clearance for the position applied for. The minimum citizenship and residency criteria for security clearances to be granted by the NZ Defence Force are as follows:
Low level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen, who has resided in this country continuously for at least the last five years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last five years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, the United Kingdom (UK) or the United States of America (USA); and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZ Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at this level.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Defence Force|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Defence, corrections & security|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.