Engineering Advisor, Non Deployable Equipment at NZ Defence Force, Wellington - Wairarapa
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Mō te tūnga | About the role
You will provide technical advice and support for non-deploying equipment which is equipment that is not used on military operations outside of New Zealand. Non deploying equipment is generally used in the day to day running of NZDF facilities or in support of training with in New Zealand.
We have a considerable amount of equipment that needs technical support and life-cycle assessment.
This can include:
- Workshop machinery used by our equipment maintainers with in our military workshops; and
- Catering equipment used by our catering staff in our military dining facilities.
You will review equipment assessment reports, manufacturer manuals and safety audits in conjunction with New Zealand standards and legislation and NZDF directives, and be confident with your advice making recommendations on next steps for the equipment, if they are fit for purpose, if not, repair or replace and assist in develop ongoing maintenance strategies.
You will also provide day to day support and advice on equipment to our NZDF personnel and engage with strategic partners, stake holders and vendors.
This is a three year fixed term role which will keep you engaged and busy. We will offer plenty of learning opportunities for you to develop your product knowledge.
Please note: The formal title for this role within NZDF is Technical Advisor Ground Support.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and Experience
Ideally you will have a minimum of five years practical experience within a engineering background so you can review machinery and make recommendations on their ongoing shelf life. Workshop experience and knowledge is desirable. This will enable you to use your skills and experience to make accurate recommendations on non-operational equipment.
Catering equipment including ovens, cookers, steamers, and all carpentry equipment are the priority for this role so ideally you will have some knowledge on how these machines run effectively. This equipment is used at all our camps and bases so you will need to be able to travel within New Zealand.
Mō mātou | About Us
The Defence Equipment Management Organisation (DEMO) is responsible for providing proactive, responsive and effective strategic in-service equipment fleet management and full life-cycle integrated logistic support (ILS) advice to support delivery of the NZDF's outputs. Our focus is on equipment and related commodities and consumables, and ensuring they are available at the right time and standard to enable the Army, Air Force and Navy to achieve the right effect.
Every hour of every day, 365 days of the year, the New Zealand Defence Force is contributing to the defence, security and well-being of Aotearoa / New Zealand. As a modern, professional military, it is our goal to maintain well trained, equipped and disciplined armed forces that can react to crisis at short notice.
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
We are a great bunch of people who manage equipment that is critical to New Zealand's defence. We are committed to building a DEMO culture where we strive to be better every day, inspire others to succeed and are proud of the work we do for New Zealand. Our Recognition and Rewards programme creates an environment where employees feel valued, appreciated and inspired to do their best. We have a leadership team committed to the development of our people and you will find that learning opportunities abound at DEMO.
Along with the opportunity to do meaningful work, our people enjoy generous employment conditions including the opportunity for flexible work arrangements, 25 days of annual leave, Member Insurance Benefit Programme (MIBP) which includes life and terminal illness benefits. Combined with a calendar of cultural events, DEMO offers a great work environment where you can realise your full potential.
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
To view the Position Description and to Apply, please use the links on this page.
- Applicants will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug screening test prior to any offer of employment being made.
- If you are an existing NZDF employee (excluding contractors) you must apply through our Internal Vacancies site, via the HR Toolkit.
- Employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to work in roles in Defence Areas within the Auckland region. We are currently reviewing our Vaccination policy covering civilian employees outside of the Auckland region and will liaise with successful candidates about our policy prior to commencement.
Applications close on Thursday 26 May 2022.
Please note: Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand (NZ) and be able to obtain and maintain the required level of NZ Government security clearance for the position applied for. The minimum citizenship and residency criteria for security clearances to be granted by the NZ Defence Force are as follows:
Higher level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen who has resided continuously in this country for the last 10 years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last 10 years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, UK or the USA; and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZSIS towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at a higher level.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Defence Force|
|Location:||Wellington - Wairarapa|
|Position type:||Fixed Term Contract|
|Category:||Defence, corrections & security|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.