Security Officer at NZ Defence Force, Wellington - Wairarapa
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Mō te tūnga | About the role
You will contribute to the security and protective service of NZDF staff and visitors covering the Wellington Region. You will maintain physical security and safety and assist with emergency and evacuation procedures for the HQ NZDF and other NZDF Wellington sites and Ministry of Defence premises.
- Undergo ongoing training to improve and update standards and professionalism;
- Recognise, report on and take appropriate action on incidents, risks, breaches and suspicious behaviour;
- Be appropriately assertive and directive, de-escalate situations; and
- Use your relationship management and communication skills to deal with staff, visitors and others in a helpful and positive way.
We really cannot talk enough about how incredible our security officers are; or say enough about the valuable contribution they make as part of a wider security team protecting New Zealand's interests.
Please note: This is a 12 month fixed-term opportunity.
The salary for this role includes a salary loading payment, taking it to between $60,805 and $68,207 including 4% super contribution. Where we appoint within this range is based on skills and experience; however, we are willing to negotiate the salary with the right candidate.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and Experience
Ideally, you will have prior security experience in operational security and be familiar with shift work.
You will also need:
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills;
- A good degree of physical fitness;
- Confidence to use computers and familiarity with the Microsoft Office Suite; and
- Ability to de-escalate situations and deal with a variety of people.
We operate a rotating four on/four off roster, which does include some night shifts in both Wellington and Upper Hutt locations to support the Wellington region. However, within this pattern, you will also work Monday to Friday with weekends off.
Mō mātou | About Us
You will be joining a supportive and professional team of dedicated security officers who between them look after multiple NZDF sites. We value our security officers and the work they do; if security is your passion, take this opportunity to join us!
Every hour of every day, 365 days of the year, the New Zealand Defence Force is contributing to the defence, security and well-being of Aotearoa / New Zealand. As a modern, professional military, it is our goal to maintain well trained, equipped and disciplined armed forces that can react to crisis at short notice.
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
NZDF is an inclusive organisation that is open to flexible working arrangements and welcomes applications from people regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, age, beliefs/opinions, or family circumstances.
In return for your expertise, dedication and hard work, NZDF is offering remuneration reflective of your experience, along with:
- Great benefits for you and your family.
- Fully funded life cover up to $300,000.
- Access to holiday accommodation across NZ.
- Discounts Handbook for selected retail, entertainment and service providers.
- Opportunities for career development.
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
To view the Position Description and to Apply, please use the links on this page. For further information, contact Arthur Antonio 021 742 115.
- Applicants will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug screening test prior to any offer of employment being made.
- If you are an existing NZDF employee (excluding contractors) you must apply through our Internal Vacancies site, via the HR Toolkit.
Applications close on Thursday 29 September 2022.
Please note: Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand (NZ) and be able to obtain and maintain the required level of NZ Government security clearance for the position applied for. The minimum citizenship and residency criteria for security clearances to be granted by the NZ Defence Force are as follows:
Higher level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen who has resided continuously in this country for the last 10 years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last 10 years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, UK or the USA; and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZSIS towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at a higher level.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Defence Force|
|Location:||Wellington - Wairarapa|
|Position type:||Fixed Term Contract|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.