Strategic Engagement Assistant at NZ Defence Force, Wellington - Wairarapa
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Mō te tūnga | About the role
You will be a part of a team advising senior leadership on, and contributing to, international Defence engagement strategy and activities as part of the Strategic Commitments and Engagement Branch (Regional) with the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF). This role focuses on Defence engagement with the regional countries of Australia, Fiji, Tonga, Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu and Timor-Leste, and the Pacific Region, and supports the pursuit of the NZDF's strategic objectives in this region.
Duties for this role will include:
- Preparing briefing packs and documents to ensure key leadership is informed;
- Liaising with internal and external stakeholders, including other government agencies and international partners;
- Assisting with planning, development and implementing of NZDF international engagement programmes; and
- Planning, attending and conducting administration for international engagement meetings and activities.
Please Note: The formal title for this role within NZDF is Assistant Director Strategic Engagement.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and Experience
You will need the ability to build strong and trusted relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders, especially at a senior level. This role requires exceptional writing skills to be able to draft, edit and proof-read documentation, as well as the ability to think strategically, be proactive and pivot easily with changing priorities and situations.
You will also need:
- A tertiary level degree in a relevant field, such as International Relations;
- Effective and professional communication skills, both written and verbal, especially at a senior level;
- Ability to understand flow-on effect of actions and apply sound judgement, initiative and common sense to situations;
- Exceptional planning and organisational skills with the ability to prioritise workload efficiently;
- Strong initiative and self-motivation to work autonomously and take ownership of role; and
- An interest in International relations, world events and cultural customs.
Please note: The successful applicant will travel internationally on occasion.
Mō mātou | About Us
The Strategic Commitments and Engagement Branch (SCE Br) is responsible for the strategic development, planning, and oversight of the NZDF's international engagement profile in support of New Zealand's defence and security objectives and broader international interests. It is led by Assistant Chief Strategic Commitments and Engagement (AC SCE) and is divided into two Directorates: Strategic Commitments (DSC) and Strategic Engagement (DSE).
DSC provides Chief of Defence Force (CDF) through AC SCE, day-to-day coordination, planning, development and monitoring of joint and combined operations, policies, plans, directives, activities and international commitments. This also includes advice through CDF to the Minister and Government in respect to these engagements.
DSE supports the NZDF's vision and mission by providing strategic coordination of international military diplomacy and military to military engagement activities. The Directorate works closely with other functional areas in Headquarters New Zealand Defence Force (HQNZDF), Ministry of Defence (MoD), and Headquarters Joint Forces New Zealand (HQJFNZ) as well as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFAT), other government agencies, non-government agencies and foreign militaries to achieve this purpose.
Every hour of every day, 365 days of the year, the New Zealand Defence Force is contributing to the defence, security and well-being of Aotearoa / New Zealand. As a modern, professional military, it is our goal to maintain well trained, equipped and disciplined armed forces that can react to crisis at short notice.
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
NZDF is an inclusive organisation that is open to flexible working arrangements and welcomes applications from people regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, age, beliefs/opinions, or family circumstances.
In return for your expertise, dedication and hard work, NZDF is offering remuneration reflective of your experience, along with:
- Great benefits for you and your family.
- Full time ongoing work.
- Fully funded life cover up to $300,000.
- Access to holiday accommodation across NZ.
- 5 weeks annual leave per year.
- Flexible working environment and positive culture.
- Variety, challenge and a chance to influence.
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
To view the Position Description and to Apply, please use the links on this page. For further information, contact Colleen Smith email@example.com.
- Applicants will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug screening test prior to any offer of employment being made.
- If you are an existing NZDF employee (excluding contractors) you must apply through our Internal Vacancies site, via the HR Toolkit.
Applications close on Thursday 29 September 2022.
Please note: Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand (NZ) and be able to obtain and maintain the required level of NZ Government security clearance for the position applied for. The minimum citizenship and residency criteria for security clearances to be granted by the NZ Defence Force are as follows:
Higher level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen who has resided continuously in this country for the last 10 years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last 10 years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, UK or the USA; and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZSIS towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at a higher level.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Defence Force|
|Location:||Wellington - Wairarapa|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.