Health & Safety Advisor at NZ Defence Force, Auckland
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Mō te tūnga | About the role
You will be responsible for promoting Army Health and Safety and ensuring compliance to the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 and; in particular support for health and safety management implementation, evaluation and improvement and the development of excellent safety standards and culture.
Key responsibilities include:
- Providing technical and subject matter input, advice and support on the development and maintenance of Army policy and publications;
- Delivering technical support and evaluations of Army health and safety through briefings, presentations and training;
- Supporting the development, maintenance and implementation of Army H&S strategies and planning;
- Providing Army health and safety management guidance and technical assistance to support units; and
- Undertaking inspections and reviews, and reporting on workplace and infrastructure safety issues through the chain of command.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and Experience
You will be an experienced health and safety professional with a working knowledge and understanding of relevant occupational legislation and risk management principles. You will have strong communication skills, with the ability to translate technical information to intelligible language.
You will also have:
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to relate effectively with a diverse range of people and ranks within Army;
- A high level of initiative and a proven ability to support continuous improvement in systems, processes and applications;
- Research and analytical skills with experience in policy development and implementation; and
- Previous experience delivering information and training, coupled with skills in communicating with large groups of people through formal presentations.
Mō mātou | About Us
The objective of Army health and safety is to maximise the operational effectiveness and efficiency of the Army through the reduction of preventable illness and injury.
Army health and safety promotes a healthy and safe workplace and supports army commanders at all levels to provide a safe, healthy and legally compliant work place in both garrison and field environments.
Every hour of every day, 365 days of the year, the New Zealand Defence Force is contributing to the defence, security and well-being of Aotearoa / New Zealand. As a modern, professional military, it is our goal to maintain well trained, equipped and disciplined armed forces that can react to crisis at short notice.
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
NZDF is an inclusive organisation that is open to flexible working arrangements and welcomes applications from people regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, age, beliefs/opinions, or family circumstances.
In return for your expertise, dedication and hard work, NZDF is offering remuneration reflective of your experience, along with:
- Great benefits for you and your family.
- Full time work with professional development opportunities.
- Fully funded life cover up to $300,000.
- Access to holiday accommodation across NZ.
- Discounts Handbook for selected retail, entertainment and service providers.
- 5 weeks annual leave per year.
- Free onsite parking.
- Flexible working environment and positive culture.
- Variety, challenge and a chance to influence.
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
To view the Position Description and to Apply, please use the links on this page.
- Applicants will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug screening test prior to any offer of employment being made.
- If you are an existing NZDF employee (excluding contractors) you must apply through our Internal Vacancies site, via the HR Toolkit.
Applications close on Monday 6 February 2023.
Please note: Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand (NZ) and be able to obtain and maintain the required level of NZ Government security clearance for the position applied for. The minimum citizenship and residency criteria for security clearances to be granted by the NZ Defence Force are as follows:
Higher level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen who has resided continuously in this country for the last 10 years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last 10 years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, UK or the USA; and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZSIS towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at a higher level.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Defence Force|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Workplace Health and Safety|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.