Deputy Director Business Improvement at NZ Defence Force, Wellington - Wairarapa
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Mō te tūnga | About the role
You will be a valued senior member of the Estate Performance, Defence Estate and Infrastructure team, responsible for embedding a culture of continuous improvement through the delivery of major improvement and innovation initiatives across Defence Estate and Infrastructure (DEI). This is an opportunity to be involved in a growing area of NZDF with an increasing portfolio of programmes.
Key duties include:
- Leading and developing a team including managing priorities and determining where the team can best add value to enable your team to succeed;
- Championing continuous improvement, including promoting the purpose and benefit of a culture of business improvement;
- Being a subject matter expert and championing Lean Six Sigma and business improvement methodologies;
- Influencing leaders to accept innovative proposals that enhance organisational performance;
- Tracking and measuring progress of all Defence Estate improvement initiatives against the improvement plan, ensuring that interdependencies are identified and managed; and
- Helping embed Lean 6 Sigma training within other training carried out across Defence Estate and Infrastructure.
The successful applicant will need to be willing and able to travel around NZDF's camps and bases as required.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and Experience
You will be a continuous improvement subject matter expert that has managed or championed change within an organisation. You will bring excellent relationship management skills to be able to engage with all levels of the organisation effectively. You will be a passionate people leader able to develop and lead a team.
Ideally, you will also have:
- The ability to operate at both the strategic and operational service delivery levels of an organisation;
- Working knowledge and experience applying Lean Six Sigma processes to improvement activities/initiatives;
- Experience managing and delivering projects;
- Proven problem solving and analytical thinking skills considering both the immediate and longer term time horizons;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to influence up; and
- A qualification in a business improvement methodology, preferable Lean 6 Sigma.
Mō mātou | About Us
Defence Estate and Infrastructure develop, maintain and manage land, property and infrastructure assets in order to support NZDF military capabilities and all of government outcomes, through the Defence Estate Regeneration Programme. The Defence estate comprises over 80,000ha of land with infrastructure and buildings with a replacement value of some $2.8bn. Defence Estate and Infrastructure is gearing up for major reinvestment and recapitalisation work over the coming years to 2025.
The Estate Performance unit works alongside the Estate Strategy, Estate Delivery and Asset Management and Environment functions, and is responsible for Estate wide portfolio management and business improvement.
Every hour of every day, 365 days of the year, the New Zealand Defence Force is contributing to the defence, security and well-being of Aotearoa / New Zealand. As a modern, professional military, it is our goal to maintain well trained, equipped and disciplined armed forces that can react to crisis at short notice.
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
NZDF is an inclusive organisation that is open to flexible working arrangements and welcomes applications from people regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, age, beliefs/opinions, or family circumstances.
In return for your expertise, dedication and hard work, NZDF is offering remuneration reflective of your experience, along with:
- Great benefits for you and your family.
- Fully funded life cover up to $300,000.
- 5 weeks annual leave per year.
- Flexible working environment and positive culture.
- Variety, challenge and a chance to influence.
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
To view the Position Description and to Apply, please use the links on this page.
- Applicants will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug screening test prior to any offer of employment being made.
- If you are an existing NZDF employee (excluding contractors) you must apply through our Internal Vacancies site, via the HR Toolkit.
Applications close on Wednesday 8 February 2023.
Please note: Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand (NZ) and be able to obtain and maintain the required level of NZ Government security clearance for the position applied for. The minimum citizenship and residency criteria for security clearances to be granted by the NZ Defence Force are as follows:
Higher level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen who has resided continuously in this country for the last 10 years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last 10 years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, UK or the USA; and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZSIS towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at a higher level.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Defence Force|
|Location:||Wellington - Wairarapa|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.