Ammunition Technical Advisor at NZ Defence Force, Auckland
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Mō te tūnga | About the role
You will be the subject matter expert for technical knowledge of explosive ordnance as part of Defence Munitions Management Group (DMMG) with the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF). This is a new role which will be providing technical advice for common ammunition items used across the tri-services (Army, Navy, Airforce); this could include anything from small arms ammunition and pyrotechnics to items containing high explosives like hand grenades and anti-armour rockets and possibly even guided munitions.
Duties for this role include:
- Providing effective technical advice, answers and presentations to users and stakeholders;
- Developing and coordinating the delivery of technical plans, user requirements, testing, evaluation, reporting, data and documentation;
- Researching historic, current and new munitions related items as requested based on user requirements or requests for information;
- Investigating incidents, accidents, failures, defects and malfunctions, and providing technical clarification around possible causes and remedial actions to be undertaken or implements;
- Liaising with internal stakeholders; and
- Assisting the wider team as required.
Please Note: The formal title for this role within NZDF is Technical Advisor Ammunition (Common Items).
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and Experience
You will be a great communicator with the ability to build and maintain strong working relationships across all levels of the organisation. You will be motivated to seek out any information not provided to you, have great problem solving skills with a knack for thinking outside of the box, and be able to clearly articulate technical information as required.
To be successful, you will also have:
- Experience with, and technical understanding of explosives ordnance (EO), including safety requirements around transportation, storage and through life management of all items;
- Previous exposure to military terminology and logistics, ideally as a senior armourer or ammunition technician;
- Understanding of New Zealand law for the management EO (Class 1 Hazardous Goods);
- Exceptional research abilities and high attention to detail to ensure accuracy in all work;
- Ability to understand, interpret and apply legislation, laws and policies; and
- Sound experience with Microsoft suite, SAP and document management sites.
Mō mātou | About Us
Defence Logistics Command (DLC) supports the NZDF by providing logistics (maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO)), most supply chain and warehousing operations (SCWO), commercial services and shared services to the single Services and HQ Joint Forces NZ. The DLC support role is summarised by “feed, fuel, fix, arm, move, procure, pay”. DLC provides logistics policy and advice internally to the NZDF and externally to NZDF's stakeholders on a Whole of Government (WoG) basis. DLC is responsible for multi-national logistics policy and implementation through a series of bi-lateral and multilateral agreements and forums.
Defence Munitions Management Group (DMMG) is responsible for:
- The delivery of all depot level logistic functions associated with the safe procurement, introduction into service, inventory management, storage, maintenance, distribution and disposal of all NZDF ammunition, explosives and associated non-explosive stores in order that the NZDF can train, fight and win;
- Optimising the delivery of quality, timely and cost effective munitions to support NZDF's capabilities, this includes: through life munitions management; compliance and governance; and technical advice; and
- Providing appropriate advice and technical guidance for single service munitions policies and procedures in respect of ammunition technical training.
Every hour of every day, 365 days of the year, the New Zealand Defence Force is contributing to the defence, security and well-being of Aotearoa / New Zealand. As a modern, professional military, it is our goal to maintain well trained, equipped and disciplined armed forces that can react to crisis at short notice.
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
NZDF is an inclusive organisation that is open to flexible working arrangements and welcomes applications from people regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, age, beliefs/opinions, or family circumstances.
In return for your expertise, dedication and hard work, NZDF is offering remuneration reflective of your experience, along with:
- Great benefits for you and your family.
- Full time ongoing work.
- Fully funded life cover up to $300,000.
- 5 weeks annual leave per year.
- Free onsite parking and great nearby amenities.
- Flexible working environment and positive culture.
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
To view the Position Description and to Apply, please use the links on this page.
- Applicants will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug screening test prior to any offer of employment being made.
- If you are an existing NZDF employee (excluding contractors) you must apply through our Internal Vacancies site, via the HR Toolkit.
Applications close on Monday 13 February 2023.
Please note: Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand (NZ) and be able to obtain and maintain the required level of NZ Government security clearance for the position applied for. The minimum citizenship and residency criteria for security clearances to be granted by the NZ Defence Force are as follows:
Higher level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen who has resided continuously in this country for the last 10 years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last 10 years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, UK or the USA; and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZSIS towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at a higher level.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Defence Force|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Defence, corrections & security|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.