Senior Policy Advisor at NZ Defence Force, Wellington - Wairarapa
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Mō te tūnga | About the role
You will be working within a busy team who create, maintain and advise on internal HR policies for both military and civilian personnel as part of the HR Policy, Remuneration and Benefits Directorate with the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF). You will be a senior member in the HR Policy team and responsible for supporting the overall capability of the team. This is a busy role where no day will be the same, working on a wide range of policy projects that could take anywhere from a few hours to several months.
Duties for this role include:
- Managing policy reviews of existing HR policies and the development of new HR policies;
- Contributing to HR related projects;
- Responding to submissions and queries in regards to any HR policy matters;
- Analysing legislation, policy and data;
- Peer review of documents prepared by other HR Policy team members;
- Liaising with internal and external stakeholders;
- Lead or contribute to HR Policy related meetings and workshops; and
- Providing supervision, coaching and mentoring to team members.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and Experience
You will have experience at a Senior Policy Advisor level and be proficient in policy development, qualitative and quantitative analysis, and implementation of policies within a complex operating environment. You will be experienced in stakeholder engagement and relationship management and skilled in planning, identifying and liaising with relevant internal and external stakeholders to inform policy development.
Our ideal person will be a proactive self-starter who can hit the ground running in this interesting and exciting role. Along with your organisational skills, attention to detail and accuracy, you will have experience in delivering to tight deadlines and knowledge of the wider public sector.
Mō mātou | About Us
The HR Policy, Remuneration and Benefits Directorate is responsible for developing strategic remuneration, benefits and HR policy direction for the NZDF. The directorate ensures that the NZDF is able to be flexible and adaptable in its approach to its remuneration and benefits structures and delivers HR policy which supports future people capability, whilst maintaining an awareness of the wider state sector direction and practice. The directorate develops and delivers its work collaboratively, with the benefit of a strong military and wider organisational input to support people related decisions.
Every hour of every day, 365 days of the year, the New Zealand Defence Force is contributing to the defence, security and well-being of Aotearoa / New Zealand. As a modern, professional military, it is our goal to maintain well trained, equipped and disciplined armed forces that can react to crisis at short notice.
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
NZDF is an inclusive organisation that is open to flexible working arrangements and welcomes applications from people regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, age, beliefs/opinions, or family circumstances.
In return for your expertise, dedication and hard work, NZDF is offering remuneration reflective of your experience, along with:
- Great benefits for you and your family.
- Full time ongoing work.
- Fully funded life cover up to $300,000.
- 5 weeks annual leave per year.
- Flexible working environment and positive culture.
- Opportunities for career development.
- Variety, challenge and a chance to influence.
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
To view the Position Description and to Apply, please use the links on this page.
- Applicants will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug screening test prior to any offer of employment being made.
- If you are an existing NZDF employee (excluding contractors) you must apply through our Internal Vacancies site, via the HR Toolkit.
Applications close on Sunday 26 March 2023.
Please note: Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand (NZ) and be able to obtain and maintain the required level of NZ Government security clearance for the position applied for. The minimum citizenship and residency criteria for security clearances to be granted by the NZ Defence Force are as follows:
Higher level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen who has resided continuously in this country for the last 10 years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last 10 years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, UK or the USA; and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZSIS towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at a higher level.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Defence Force|
|Location:||Wellington - Wairarapa|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Human resources, recruitment & training|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.