National Manager Security Guard Force at NZ Defence Force, Wellington - Wairarapa
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Mō te tūnga | About the role
You will play a key leadership role in managing the Security Guard Force (SGF) under the Directorate of Defence Security with New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF).
This role turns strategic concepts into operational outcomes, provides expert guidance and oversees risk management for the SGF. You will ensure that the SGF provides services that are responsive, sustainable, and best fit the needs of NZDF.
Responsibilities for this role will include:
- Leading strategic development and developing policies;
- Contributing to senior leadership;
- Managing diverse teams across the country, including with Human Resource matters;
- Overseeing and managing change and risk management as required;
- Championing business and continuous improvement across the organisation; and
- Engaging and acting as an advocate for Defence Security across NZDF.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and Experience
We need a subject matter expert with robust experience in the delivery of protective security services, in a Defence, Security, Intelligence or similar environment.
You will be an experienced and respected leader, with an ability to drive high standards, lead geographically split teams and manage conflicting requirements. This role requires the ability to see the big picture, understand strategic requirements and be agile within a complex environment with lots of moving parts.
Key skills and attributes you will bring to this role are:
- Proven skills in analysing complex information and making effective recommendations;
- Excellent relationship management skills, including working alongside senior leadership, people management and Human Resource functions;
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to translate complex information to various target audiences;
- An understanding of financial responsibilities and requirements within the public sector; and
- Demonstrated experience in undertaking risk identification, assessment, change management and management processes.
You will have the knowledge and experience of the Government Mandated Protective Security Requirements.
Please note: This position requires the capacity to travel as required, including overseas, and possession of a valid Full Class 1 Driver's Licence.
Mō mātou | About Us
Directorate of Defence Security provides a sustainable and credible security organisation primarily focussed on NZDF's domestic security environment through the provision of a range of protective security policies, services, products and advice. Our purpose is to protect the NZDF from security threats, vulnerabilities and risks that could cause harm to our people, information and capabilities.
Every hour of every day, 365 days of the year, the New Zealand Defence Force is contributing to the defence, security and well-being of Aotearoa / New Zealand. As a modern, professional military, it is our goal to maintain well trained, equipped and disciplined armed forces that can react to crisis at short notice.
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
NZDF is an inclusive organisation that is open to flexible working arrangements and welcomes applications from people regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, age, beliefs/opinions, or family circumstances.
In return for your expertise, dedication and hard work, NZDF is offering remuneration reflective of your experience, along with:
- Great benefits for you and your family.
- Full time ongoing work.
- Fully funded life cover up to $300,000.
- 5 weeks annual leave per year.
- Flexible working environment and positive culture.
- Variety, challenge and a chance to influence.
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
To view the Position Description and to Apply, please use the links on this page.
- Applicants will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug screening test prior to any offer of employment being made.
- If you are an existing NZDF employee (excluding contractors) you must apply through our Internal Vacancies site, via the HR Toolkit.
Applications close on Sunday 2 April 2023.
Please note: Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand (NZ) and be able to obtain and maintain the required level of NZ Government security clearance for the position applied for. The minimum citizenship and residency criteria for security clearances to be granted by the NZ Defence Force are as follows:
Higher level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen who has resided continuously in this country for the last 10 years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last 10 years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, UK or the USA; and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZSIS towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at a higher level.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Defence Force|
|Location:||Wellington - Wairarapa|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.