Senior Systems Accountant at NZ Defence Force, Wellington - Wairarapa
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Mō te tūnga | About the role
The Senior Systems Accountant provides support to the Finance Team with queries, reporting and information design. This role requires interaction with users and the ability to understand user requirements, the ability to create innovative solutions, have a continuous improvement mind-set and a focus on adding value to the team and organisation.
As a senior member of the team, you will provide input, options and recommendations for setting the overall Finance strategies, policies and priorities in the systems area. While this role has no direct reports, you will provide coaching and mentoring to Systems Accounts in your team.
Senior Systems Accountants have expertise in at least one of the key systems used by Finance (IBM Analytics TM1, SAP BI) and are the primary contacts for the Finance team in these areas. You will work with the Defence Digital Group (DDG) to ensure that the wider Finance team has input into DDG infrastructure planning and is aware of DDG initiatives that will impact the Finance team.
Key duties include:
- Using NZDF accounting information systems and becoming a subject matter expert on the systems to provide advice to the wider NZDF Finance Team;
- Undertaking systems administration and regular maintenance activities to maximise system availability and reliability;
- Providing expertise and assistance in making financial information interfaces and reporting as user friendly and non technical as possible;
- Contributing to the Performance Reporting Team to identify and specify requirements for system development; and
- Being the NZDF Finance point of contact for information systems audits and reviews.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and Experience
We are looking for someone with strong technical skills and a general understanding of management accounting and financial management principles and practices. Ideally, you will have experience as a Systems Accountant and be ready to take the next step up and develop your leadership skills.
Ideally you will have:
- Knowledge of IT and/or business project management and administration principles;
- The ability to communicate technical information effectively to non-expert audiences;
- Experience with a budget reporting tool such as SAP BI or IBM Analytics (TM1);
- Experience with a major ERP package, preferably SAP;
- High level computer literacy skills including intermediate level expertise in the MS Office Suite, particularly MS Excel; and
- A tertiary qualification in accounting, finance or other relevant area.
Mō mātou | About Us
The purpose of NZDF Finance is to assist the Government and NZDF to utilise resources to deliver an optimised military effect through the provision of strategic financial management services enabling integrated capability decisions. As a valued part of NZDF Finance, the Finance Service Delivery Team provides financial advice and business support to the wider NZDF functions with financial governance responsibilities.
Every hour of every day, 365 days of the year, the New Zealand Defence Force is contributing to the defence, security and well-being of Aotearoa / New Zealand. As a modern, professional military, it is our goal to maintain well trained, equipped and disciplined armed forces that can react to crisis at short notice.
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
NZDF is an inclusive organisation that is open to flexible working arrangements and welcomes applications from people regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, age, beliefs/opinions, or family circumstances.
In return for your expertise, dedication and hard work, NZDF is offering remuneration reflective of your experience, along with:
- Great benefits for you and your family.
- Fully funded life cover up to $300,000.
- Access to holiday accommodation across NZ.
- Discounts Handbook for selected retail, entertainment and service providers.
- 5 weeks annual leave per year.
- Opportunities for career development.
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
To view the Position Description and to Apply, please use the links on this page.
- Applicants will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug screening test prior to any offer of employment being made.
- If you are an existing NZDF employee (excluding contractors) you must apply through our Internal Vacancies site, via the HR Toolkit.
Applications close on Thursday 8 June 2023.
Please note: Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand (NZ) and be able to obtain and maintain the required level of NZ Government security clearance for the position applied for. The minimum citizenship and residency criteria for security clearances to be granted by the NZ Defence Force are as follows:
Higher level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen who has resided continuously in this country for the last 10 years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last 10 years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, UK or the USA; and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZSIS towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at a higher level.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Defence Force|
|Location:||Wellington - Wairarapa|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Accounting & finance|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.