Principal Advisor Business Operations at NZ Defence Force, Wellington - Wairarapa
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Mō te tūnga | About the role
The Principal Advisor Business Operations is responsible for providing critical thinking capability and advice to the Defence Shared Services Group (DSSG) Leadership team on a wide range of strategic, operational, risk and policy matters.
You will play a pivotal role in ensuring that the new Strategic Direction and the transformation journey of Defence Shared Services is effectively implemented. You will do this by working across the business, forward planning with purpose and having an enterprise view of all strategic priorities. There may be instances where you will lead the development and execution of strategic priorities. You will contribute to a great DSSG culture, which encourages inclusiveness, a willingness to experiment, to innovate, make pragmatic decisions, take initiative and create unique opportunities in line with the new DSSG Strategic Direction.
You will engage with DSSG senior leaders to provide them thought leadership and advice on risk, communications and strategic priorities. You will ensure they are supported to be effective leaders to enable innovation and direction of their teams to successfully meet and maintain customer and organisational needs, executing the business model and vision for the operation of DSSG and its business partners.
Once you have undergone training and are up to speed, there is the option of working from any NZDF Camp or Base within NZ. You will also have the option of working from home one-two days a week.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and Experience
Your experience engaging, persuading and influencing senior leadership effectively will be key to your success. You will be a strategic thinker who is able to make the connections between various aspects of the organisation and consider implications for their business unit. You will have the ability to engage with stakeholders to understand and influence prioritisation to develop pragmatic and realistic delivery roadmaps.
You will also have:
- Strong prioritisation skills with a future focus and results driven mind-set.
- Experience in developing and implementing strategy for medium to large sized organisations.
- Experience and knowledge of strategic principles/disciplines.
- The flexibility to travel as required.
- A Class 1 Full Driver's License.
Experience in a shared services and/or operational environment is advantageous but not essential. Training and development support will be provided so this role will suit a Senior Advisor ready to step up into a Principal Advisor role.
Mō mātou | About Us
The Defence Shared Services Group (DSSG) is responsible for providing essential support and administration services to the NZDF whānau. Our purpose is “modernising shared services to tautoku (support) our people's operational readiness”. The DSSG team is passionate about perfecting the art of shared services to free up our people. Our customers want us to excel at collaboratively embedding innovation & customising services to offer a slick world class experience. We know we have been successful when we deliver a new repeatable customer experience that boosts morale within Defence. DSSG is currently undergoing transformation. This position is new and will play a critical role in DSSG's new strategic direction.
Every hour of every day, 365 days of the year, the New Zealand Defence Force is contributing to the defence, security and well-being of Aotearoa / New Zealand. As a modern, professional military, it is our goal to maintain well trained, equipped and disciplined armed forces that can react to crisis at short notice.
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
NZDF is an inclusive organisation that is open to flexible working arrangements and welcomes applications from people regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, age, or family circumstances.
In return for your expertise, dedication and hard work, NZDF is offering remuneration reflective of your experience, along with:
- Great benefits for you and your family.
- Fully funded life cover up to $300,000.
- 5 weeks annual leave per year.
- Flexible working environment and positive culture.
- Opportunities for career development.
- Variety, challenge and a chance to influence.
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
To view the Position Description and to Apply, please use the links on this page.
- Applicants will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug screening test prior to any offer of employment being made.
- If you are an existing NZDF employee (excluding contractors) you must apply through our Internal Vacancies site, via the HR Toolkit.
Applications close on Monday 26 February 2024.
Please note: Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand (NZ) and be able to obtain and maintain the required level of NZ Government security clearance for the position applied for. The minimum citizenship and residency criteria for security clearances to be granted by the NZ Defence Force are as follows:
Higher level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen who has resided continuously in this country for the last 10 years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last 10 years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, UK or the USA; and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZSIS towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at a higher level.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|NZ Defence Force
|Wellington - Wairarapa
|Ongoing - Full Time
|Defence, corrections & security
|No File Attached
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.