Principal Advisor at NZ Defence Force, Wellington - Wairarapa
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
What you will do
The Principal Advisor - Portfolio Management is responsible for providing support and advice to governance groups and senior leadership teams to aid decision making around investment choices and performance of in-flight programmes and projects.
A typical day could include:
- Providing portfolio design, planning and decision support, and performance reporting to selected NZDF governance groups;
- Working with stakeholders to ensure strategic projects and programmes are fit for purpose, aligned to strategy and delivering benefits linked to outcomes;
- Monitoring the performance of the portfolio management components of P3M frameworks, processes and tools and planning, directing and coordinating work to deliver improvements; and
- Leading a small team of analysts and deputising for the Director, as required.
What we need
This role is a great opportunity for an experienced portfolio advisor to expand on their portfolio management skillset across a large and complex organisation with a variety of strategic objectives. As the Principal Advisor, you will be operating with autonomy and be empowered to take on this senior role to inform and influence out and up.
You will have:
- Proven experience with strategic portfolio management, including design, planning, performance, reporting, risk, and financial management;
- Relevant experience in benefit identification and tracking, assurance and risk management, and large scale project and programme delivery;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a proven ability to build, maintain and manage effective relationships at all levels; and
- Practical experience in the management and development of analysts and reporting staff.
Who we are
Every hour of every day, 365 days of the year, the New Zealand Defence Force is contributing to the defence, security and well-being of Aotearoa / New Zealand. As a modern, professional military, it is our goal to maintain well trained, equipped and disciplined armed forces that can react to crisis at short notice.
The Directorate of Strategy Management leads the development of pan-NZDF organisational strategic planning, performance reporting, enterprise portfolio and risk management, continuous improvement and innovation and governance support in order to provide CDF (Chief Executive) and the NZDF leadership with a single point of accountability for these functions, enhance the NZDF's ability to execute our strategy and meet Government expectations.
NZDF is an inclusive organisation that is open to flexible working arrangements and welcomes applications from people regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, age, beliefs/opinions, or family circumstances.
In return for your expertise, dedication and hard work, NZDF is offering remuneration reflective of your experience, along with:
- Great benefits for you and your family;
- Discounts Handbook for selected retail, entertainment and service providers;
- 5 weeks annual leave per year;
- Variety, challenge and a chance to influence.
- Tailored opportunities for personal and professional development.
How to Apply
To view the Position Description and to apply online please visit our Defence Careers website, or use the links on this page. For further information, call or text Steven Cook on 021 243 0767.
Please note: If you are an existing NZDF employee (excluding contractors) you must apply through our Internal Vacancies site, via the HR Toolkit.
Applications close on Wednesday 27 January 2021.
Please note: Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand (NZ) and be able to obtain and maintain the required level of NZ Government security clearance for the position applied for. The minimum citizenship and residency criteria for security clearances to be granted by the NZ Defence Force are as follows:
Higher level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen who has resided continuously in this country for the last 10 years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last 10 years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, UK or the USA; and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZSIS towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at a higher level.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Defence Force|
|Location:||Wellington - Wairarapa|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.