Senior HR Advisor at NZ Defence Force, Auckland
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Mō te tūnga | About the role
As a Senior HR Advisor you will be responsible for supporting, coaching and advising NZDF leaders to enable them to make strategic people decisions and manage operational matters as they arise. You will work collaboratively with the team and the wider People Capability Portfolio to drive innovative solutions that meet the needs of our customers.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and Experience
We are seeking the talent and skills of a knowledgeable and experienced HR practitioner to join our Northern HR Advisory team who deliver broad HR services to the NZDF. Reporting to the HR Manager you will be joining a professional, cohesive and supportive team.
There aren't many roles where HR practitioners can make a difference to the country they live in, and in this role you will be offered that rare opportunity. This position is unique as you will be managing portfolios that have a mix of both military and civilian staff, working with our Commanders and Managers on all people-related matters. This is a busy and varied role where no two days are the same, and your ability to influence and build trust will help you establish and maintain strong working relationships.
You may already be a Senior HR Advisor or you might be an HR Advisor ready for the next step. You will bring to this role a strong foundation in generalist HR; comprising of a good practical base of New Zealand employment law, employment relations, remuneration, change management, risk management and general day-to-day HR advice and policy interpretation.
You will be pragmatic, resilient and equipped with exceptional communication and interpersonal skills. You are able to engage with a diverse mix of people at all levels, and are comfortable influencing without authority. You also possess a strong service delivery focus and can quickly come to grips with new systems, policies and procedures.
Mō mātou | About Us
HR Advisory Services (HRAS) provides accurate, responsive, fit for purpose solutions and advice on all people matters aligned to the strategic direction of NZDF. The team provides leadership and support across all facets of human resources, both strategic and operational, and is a key enabler to the success of our leaders.
Every hour of every day, 365 days of the year, the New Zealand Defence Force is contributing to the defence, security and well-being of Aotearoa / New Zealand. As a modern, professional military, it is our goal to maintain well trained, equipped and disciplined armed forces that can react to crisis at short notice.
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
NZDF is an inclusive organisation that is open to flexible working arrangements and welcomes applications from people regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, age, beliefs/opinions, or family circumstances.
In return for your expertise, dedication and hard work, NZDF is offering remuneration reflective of your experience and a supportive working environment, along with:
- Great benefits for you and your family;
- Fully funded life cover up to $300,000;
- 5 weeks annual leave per year;
- Variety, challenge and a chance to influence;
- Free onsite parking and great nearby amenities;
- Access to holiday accommodation across NZ.
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
To view the Position Description and to Apply, please use the links on this page. For further information, contact Adrienne Poulter on 021 928213.
- Applicants will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug screening test prior to any offer of employment being made.
- If you are an existing NZDF employee (excluding contractors) you must apply through our Internal Vacancies site, via the HR Toolkit.
- Employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to work in roles in Defence Areas within the Auckland region. We are currently reviewing our Vaccination policy covering civilian employees outside of the Auckland region and will liaise with successful candidates about our policy prior to commencement.
Applications close on Sunday 22 May 2022.
Please note: Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand (NZ) and be able to obtain and maintain the required level of NZ Government security clearance for the position applied for. The minimum citizenship and residency criteria for security clearances to be granted by the NZ Defence Force are as follows:
Higher level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen who has resided continuously in this country for the last 10 years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last 10 years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, UK or the USA; and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZSIS towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at a higher level.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Defence Force|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Defence, corrections & security|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.