Airfield Environmental Officer at NZ Defence Force, Auckland
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Mō te tūnga | About the role
The successful candidate will be responsible for the coordination and implementation of the airfield and environment management plans to ensure safe military flying operations at RNZAF Base Whenuapai.
The role also includes the responsibility for the Airfield Wildlife Management Plan / Programme and the associated grass management plans in line with Military and Civil rules and guidelines.
You'll assist with the management of Whenuapai Aerodrome in line with Civil Aviation Regulations including:
- Airfield inspections;
- Obstruction limitation surfaces;
- Lighting, and navigation aids; and
- Contractors accessing airside.
There are specific job requirements such as being available on call and the ability to work unsupervised outside of normal work hours, to maintain a serviceable aerodrome and execute the Airfield Management Plans at the most effective times. For example bird control at dawn and dusk, weekend culling, visiting property owners to discuss OLS when they are available.
The right person for this role will have a moderate level of fitness in order to deploy on exercises within NZ for short periods with RNZAF flying units, providing additional wildlife management at smaller airports/airfields, if specifically required.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and Experience
We are seeking a person with experience in the airport management industry, including related wildlife management. You will bring experience in ecological and environmental issues/management and supervising/managing contractors.
Ideally your prior experience in the industry has given you knowledge of birds and bird activity relevant to Whenuapai and the Auckland area. In addition to being confident in wildlife management, you will have some knowledge of agriculture in respect to grasses and weed types and seasonal pastoral growth.
We are also looking for the following competencies:
- Confident Public Speaker and presenter of information;
- Confidence to represent the RNZAF in discussions or debates about obstructions with local property owners and other agencies;
- Knowledge of both Civil and Military Aircraft operational specifications that could utilise Whenuapai Airfield; and
- Knowledge of ICAO and Civil Aviation Regulations including CAR Part 139, and ICAO Annex 14 and associated airfield management publications and obstruction limitation services.
A relevant qualification in ornithology, biological science, horticulture or equivalent business/role experience, preferably with an aviation or airfield focus is needed as is a current NZ Firearms Licence and a CIMS 4 qualification.
Mō mātou | About Us
The Base Auckland Operations Squadron is responsible for the provision of a military airbase capability including enabling expeditionary airbase functions by delivering individual and unit operational readiness training, enabling functions and airfield management.
Every hour of every day, 365 days of the year, the New Zealand Defence Force is contributing to the defence, security and well-being of Aotearoa / New Zealand. As a modern, professional military, it is our goal to maintain well trained, equipped and disciplined armed forces that can react to crisis at short notice.
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
NZDF is an inclusive organisation that is open to flexible working arrangements and welcomes applications from people regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, age, beliefs/opinions, or family circumstances.
In return for your expertise, dedication and hard work, NZDF is offering remuneration reflective of your experience, along with:
- Great benefits for you and your family;
- Fully funded life cover up to $300,000;
- Access to holiday accommodation across NZ;
- Discounts Handbook for selected retail, entertainment and service providers;
- 5 weeks annual leave per year;
- Free onsite parking and great nearby amenities;
- Opportunities for career development.
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
To view the Position Description and to Apply, please use the links on this page.
- Applicants will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug screening test prior to any offer of employment being made.
- If you are an existing NZDF employee (excluding contractors) you must apply through our Internal Vacancies site, via the HR Toolkit.
- Employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to work in roles in Defence Areas within the Auckland region. We are currently reviewing our Vaccination policy covering civilian employees outside of the Auckland region and will liaise with successful candidates about our policy prior to commencement.
Applications close on Monday 4 July 2022.
Please note: Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand (NZ) and be able to obtain and maintain the required level of NZ Government security clearance for the position applied for. The minimum citizenship and residency criteria for security clearances to be granted by the NZ Defence Force are as follows:
Low level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen, who has resided in this country continuously for at least the last five years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last five years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, the United Kingdom (UK) or the United States of America (USA); and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZ Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at this level.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Defence Force|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Defence, corrections & security|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.