Defence Officer of Compliance at NZ Defence Force, Auckland
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Mō te tūnga | About the role
You will manage all aspects of Permittable and Notifiable Works Health and Safety on Estate & Infrastructure projects across the various sites in the Northern region.
The projects include all Defence Estate Construction, Planned Maintenance Programme and Facility Management activities across the Defence estate.
Utilising your previous experience in the construction and/or facility management services industry, you will assist all stakeholders to communicate, coordinate and manage hazards via a client led permit to work system. You will deliver health and safety inductions as well as assisting Estate Deputy Directors to maintain oversight of compliance schedules as required.
You will work with contractors, stakeholders and fellow NZDF personnel to seek the highest levels of compliance and report any need for changes in policy and procedures.
Please note: This role is based in Devonport and includes all the regional satellite sites.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and Experience
Ideally we are seeking someone with the following:
- Up to date knowledge of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015, related legislation, regulations, related Health & Safety codes of practice and guidelines applicable to construction industry, including hazard identification;
- Knowledge of permit to work systems and high risk works within the facilities maintenance and/or construction industry;
- Previous experience issuing and receiving permits on construction sites;
- Previous experience in delivering workplace health and safety inductions; and
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with ability to communicate with wide range of stakeholders.
- National Certificate Level IV in Occupational Health & Safety, (NEBOSH International Certificate also acceptable) preferred;
- Unit Standards: 17590: Issue worksite specific work permits, 17588: Apply for, accept and carry out work according to a work permit in the workplace, 17601: Applying hazard identification and risk assessment procedures in the workplace;
- A relevant course/certificates in Confined Space, Working at Height etc; and
- A current first aid certificate.
A full NZ driver licence is required as there is some flexibility with hours of work as you may be required to be onsite early to issue permits for the day's work.
Mō mātou | About Us
The Defence Estate and Infrastructure's purpose is to develop, maintain and manage land, property and infrastructure assets in order to support NZDF military capabilities and all of government outcomes, through the Defence Estate Regeneration Programme. The Defence estate comprises over 80,000ha of land with infrastructure and buildings with a replacement value of some $2.8bn. Defence Estate and Infrastructure (DEI) is gearing up for major reinvestment and recapitalisation work over the coming years to 2025.
Every hour of every day, 365 days of the year, the New Zealand Defence Force is contributing to the defence, security and well-being of Aotearoa / New Zealand. As a modern, professional military, it is our goal to maintain well trained, equipped and disciplined armed forces that can react to crisis at short notice.
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
NZDF is an inclusive organisation that is open to flexible working arrangements and welcomes applications from people regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, age, beliefs/opinions, or family circumstances.
In return for your expertise, dedication and hard work, NZDF is offering remuneration reflective of your experience, along with:
- Great benefits for you and your family;
- Fully funded life cover up to $300,000;
- Access to holiday accommodation across NZ;
- Discounts Handbook for selected retail, entertainment and service providers;
- 5 weeks annual leave per year;
- Flexible working environment and positive culture;
- Opportunities for career development;
- Variety, challenge and a chance to influence.
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
To view the Position Description and to Apply, please use the links on this page.
- Applicants will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug screening test prior to any offer of employment being made.
- If you are an existing NZDF employee (excluding contractors) you must apply through our Internal Vacancies site, via the HR Toolkit.
- Employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to work in roles in Defence Areas within the Auckland region. We are currently reviewing our Vaccination policy covering civilian employees outside of the Auckland region and will liaise with successful candidates about our policy prior to commencement.
Applications close on Wednesday 6 July 2022.
Please note: Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand (NZ) and be able to obtain and maintain the required level of NZ Government security clearance for the position applied for. The minimum citizenship and residency criteria for security clearances to be granted by the NZ Defence Force are as follows:
Low level Security Clearance
- most preferably a NZ citizen, who has resided in this country continuously for at least the last five years, OR
- is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one or more of the following countries for the last five years: either Australia, Canada, NZ, the United Kingdom (UK) or the United States of America (USA); and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZ Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at this level.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||NZ Defence Force|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Defence, corrections & security|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.