Strategic Policy Advisor at Inland Revenue Te Tari Taake, Wellington - Wairarapa
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Permanent / full-time opportunity
- Wellington based
When you add a healthy dose of curiosity to a complex challenge, amazing things can happen. In this case, bringing your inquisitive mind and openness to new ideas could help us transform tax and social policy, for the better. Doing so will transform your career for the better, too. We are looking for a person at a senior level to join our high-performing policy team where you will sink your teeth into meaningful work - the kind of stuff that drives genuine change for the people of Aotearoa.
This senior role has all the hallmarks of a career-defining move - equipping you with the mandate to lead strategic direction and input in a policy context. Embrace the challenge, complexity and kudos that comes with being a senior thought leader and steward for our tax and social policy system. Here, your remit will be wide and rewarding - seeing you working with our policy teams to provide strategic advice that informs better tax and social policy. You will also have an expert presence both internally and externally, representing IR as a subject matter expert in this space.
To excel in this role, you'll need the following:
- To be a very experienced policy thinker and future focused strategic thought leader
- Strong strategic thinking ability along with proven experience solving complex issues, including in the stewardship space
- A 'self-starter' attitude with the initiative to develop and support strategic work with a Policy focus but potentially across the organisation
- Ability to be agile and flex to considering the issues of the day
- A mentor to our policy staff, both in best practice of inclusive working and the art of strategic thinking and influencing
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders, internally and externally. Ability to influence through these relationships and networks
- Excellent written and verbal communication abilities to tailor complex messages to diverse audiences
- The ability to drive a process involving a range of stakeholders and deliver results within required timeframes. Having an all of enterprise view and end to end coherence from policy to operational delivery
- Commitment to strengthening Māori Crown relationships under Te Tiriti o Waitangi/ the Treaty of Waitangi
Mō mātou - About us
The Inland Revenue Policy and Regulatory Stewardship team is primarily based in Wellington and advises Government on a range of tax and social policy issues. We research and develop policy options, and present policy recommendations to senior officials and Ministers. Unlike other policy shops, we also prepare our own legislation arising from those policy recommendations and our advisors support it through the legislative process.
For an overview of what we have been working on, check out https://taxpolicy.ird.govt.nz/work-programme
At Te Tari Taake Inland Revenue we're passionate about Aotearoa New Zealand being a great place to live and work. We're making it simpler for everyone to pay tax that pays for things like health care, education and protecting the environment.
IR is committed to building an inclusive workplace free from inequalities, where all our people are valued, respected and feel supported to reach their full potential.
Tono mai - Apply here
Please apply online, attaching a copy of your CV and a cover letter outlining your skills, experience, and knowledge in line with requirements in the advertisement.
For specific queries, including a copy of the role description, please email IRDcareers@ird.govt.nz and one of our team members will be in touch with you.
Applications close 5pm Monday, 9 October 2023.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Inland Revenue Te Tari Taake|
|Location:||Wellington - Wairarapa|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Policy & analysis|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.