Advisors - Policy Stewardship, Economics, and Strategy at Inland Revenue Te Tari Taake, Wellington - Wairarapa
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Full-time, permanent opportunities
- Wellington based
Inland Revenue is seeking talented and innovative analysts to join our growing team focused on policy stewardship, economics, and strategy. We are committed to proactively evaluating and enhancing the current tax system, strategically planning for future developments, and aligning our policies with broader strategic goals. If you have a passion for data-driven decision-making, strategic thinking, and making a lasting impact, we want to hear from you.
Ara Whiwhi Mahi - The opportunity
We are currently seeking two Principal Advisors and one Senior Policy Advisor who will make a difference on policies that affect all New Zealanders. We need people who are conceptual, critical and framework thinkers, open to new ideas, looking to learn and grow as well as work effectively in a team environment.
- Policy stewardship
Collaborate in the formulation, evaluation, and implementation of tax policies
- Economic analysis
Conduct in-depth economic analysis, using data to inform policy decisions
- Strategic planning
Assist in the development of strategic plans and innovative approaches to achieve long-term goals
- Data-driven insights
Utilize data platforms to analyse trends, inform project selection, and engage stakeholders
- Innovation and responsiveness
Stay abreast of global trends and use creative data exploration to identify early trends in taxation
Mōu - About you
To excel in this role, you'll need:
- relevant policy and/or legislative experience, along with an understanding of government priorities and the political context
- exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders
- excellent written and verbal communication abilities to tailor complex messages to diverse audiences
- the ability to drive a process involving a range of stakeholders and deliver results within required timeframes
- a degree in Economics, Public Policy, or related field would be an advantage
- three or more years of relevant experience in policy analysis, economics, or strategic planning.
For Principal Policy Advisor L3, in addition to the capabilities above, you will be:
- a seasoned policy practitioner with at least five years of relevant experience in policy analysis, economics, or strategic planning
- able to lead significant and complex policy projects
- strong at coaching and mentoring other advisors
- able to contribute to the leadership of the wider Policy and Regulatory Stewardship team
- a navigator - able to scan the horizon, understand the broader system and see opportunities through connections between different areas
- A degree in Economics, Public Policy, or related field would be an advantage.
Mō mātou - About us
The Policy and Regulatory Stewardship team is primarily based in Wellington and advises Government on a range of tax and social policy issues. We research and develop policy options, and present policy recommendations to senior officials and Ministers. Unlike other policy shops, we also prepare our own legislation arising from those policy recommendations and our advisors support it through the legislative process.
For an overview of what we have been working on, check out: https://taxpolicy.ird.govt.nz/work-programme
At Te Tari Taake Inland Revenue we're passionate about Aotearoa New Zealand being a great place to live and work. We're making it simpler for everyone to pay tax that pays for things like health care, education and protecting the environment.
We are committed to keeping to the Treaty of Waitangi's guiding principles in our work for and with Māori customers and our employees, their whānau, hapū and iwi. IR is committed to building an inclusive workplace free from inequalities, where all our people are valued, respected and feel supported to reach their full potential.
What we offer:
- Be part of a hugely exciting policy agenda that affects all New Zealanders and really make a difference
- Be part of one of the highest performing policy shops in Government, where you will have the chance to hone and develop your policy skills to the highest level
- Form links with the operational side of the business, with the chance to be part of the biggest change program in Government
- Work in a high performing team in which people enjoy their work and support each other when in need
- Work closely with other agencies, business, individuals, and internationally
- Commitment to strengthening Māori Crown relationships under Te Tiriti o Waitangi/ the Treaty of Waitangi
Tono mai - Apply here
Inland Revenue is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Apply online by attaching a copy of your CV and a cover letter, indicating if you are applying for the Senior Policy Advisor L2 or the Principal Policy Advisor L3 position and how your skills and experience match the requirements of the position. We are also open to considering secondments, please indicate in your application if this is your preference.
For specific queries, including a copy of the job description, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our team members will be in touch with you.
Applications close on Friday, 13 October 2023.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Inland Revenue Te Tari Taake|
|Location:||Wellington - Wairarapa|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Policy & analysis|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.