Technical Officer - Food and Advanced Technology at Massey University, Manawatu-Whanganui
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
College of Sciences
Are you passionate about technical excellence and keen to join a dynamic laboratory team?
About us - Ko wai mātou
Massey University is a world-leading university in many academic disciplines and fields of research. The Nutrition Laboratory is based in Palmerston North and sits within the university framework as an IANZ accredited independent testing laboratory. It services Massey University's research and student projects as well as external commercial clients in the Food and Feed industries.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Laboratory Technical Officer with skills in Research and Development and specialist analytical skills who can work on a wide scope and range of lab equipment and samples. Ongoing research into existing and new methods for development is critical to the role. The salary will be consummate with experience between $56,622 - $80,006 (NZD) per annum.
About you - Ko koe tēnei
As the ideal candidate, you must be able to hit the ground running with well-established technical expertise and want to develop your leadership skills.
You will be practically minded with good troubleshooting skills, and ideally with a good understanding of food and feed industry standards and good laboratory practices that align with ISO17025. In this role, you will work within a team of 11 individuals, work with various state-of-the-art equipment, optimise existing processes, and collaborate cross-functionally with various departments within the business.
The hours are Monday to Friday, offering flexible dayshift hours.
About this role - Mō tēnei tūranga mahi
- Perform and provide technical support for specialised and routine analyses
- Collaborate to ensure the continuation of a Laboratory Management system that complies with ISO 17025 and Ministry of Primary Industry requirements
- Become an IANZ Key Technical Person to collate, write, check and sign off reports to clients
- Prioritise client deadlines
- Prioritise work schedules
- Training of staff, equipment maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Method research, development, and validation
Skills and experience
A tertiary qualification in chemistry would be advantageous but specifically a BSc, or Diploma in Science, or similar, is required.
- Extensive and up-to-date Laboratory experience is essential with well-established technical skills i.e. advanced use of the latest instruments, balances, pipetting, dilutions, and calculations.
- A wide range of technical experience with equipment including HPLC, GC, LC-MS, TDF analyser, centrifuges, balances, spectrophotometer, and freeze drier would be an advantage.
- Significant excel experience and the ability to use multiple large spreadsheets is essential.
- Mathematical competence in validation of method calculations and IANZ calibration methodologies is essential.
- Ability to troubleshoot and provide routine maintenance on various laboratory equipment.
- Routine nutrition analysis including moisture, ash, protein, fat, fibres, energy, sample preparation, reagent preparation.
- Specialised analytical methods i.e. Amino Acids, Vitamins, Fatty Acids, Starch, Beta-Glucan, Resistant Starch.
- Proven experience in successfully implementing ISO 17025 standards.
If you are ready to take on this exciting challenge, grow your leadership skills, and make a significant impact, apply now to become one of our team.
Shortlisting will begin after the closing date.
Closing date: 3 March 2024
Reference number: CS_SFAT_806_08/23
For further information and to apply online, visit: http://masseyunicareers.nga.net.nz
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Ongoing - Full Time
|Science and Environment
|No File Attached
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.