Legislative Counsel at Office of the Clerk of the House of Representatives, Wellington - Wairarapa
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Intellectual challenge
- Work with MPs and staff across the parliament sector
- Opportunity to work in an exciting and innovative environment
Te tĪma - The team:
When you work in Parliament, you don't just watch democracy in action - you're part of it. And in the Office of the Clerk, you'll be working directly at its core. The Office of the Clerk provides advisory services to the House of Representatives, directly assisting the House and its committees with the business of Parliament.
Mō te tūnga - About the role:
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced lawyer to join our small team of Legislative Counsel. This is an ideal role for a skilled public lawyer looking for a varied and challenging role in a unique environment.
Legislative Counsel support the work of other teams within the Office of the Clerk and Parliamentary Service. You'll draft Members' Bills and provide legal advice to select committees. Scrutinising regulations and bills, and providing legal advice on MPs' pecuniary interests are also part of this role. In addition, you'll assist the Regulations Review Committee with legal advice - this committee is responsible for Parliament's oversight of secondary legislation.
Tō kete - What you will bring to the role
Our ideal candidate has at one to two years' legal experience, ideally in the government sector. However, we are open to considering a law graduate with one to two years' experience in a policy or other government role and who wishes to undertake studies towards admission while in the role.
We're keen to hear from anyone who has the skills and interest to thrive in the parliamentary environment. This is a rare opportunity to join a select team where you can both share your knowledge and learn from those around you. If you are enthusiastic about being involved at the heart of our democracy then we want to hear from you.
Why work for Office of the Clerk?
- The team is interesting and gearing up for the election in 2023 which will mean that you have time to join and be amongst one of the most exciting changes in a democratic environment
- We offer a thorough induction, on-going development and excellent working conditions
- We offer a range of benefits including five weeks annual leave, access to an on-site gym and pool, learning and development opportunities and flexible working arrangements. Our ever-changing environment we work in allows us to be part of the action at Parliament including attending question time, select committees and other key events
- We actively represent our values of Courage, Integrity, Manaakitanga, Impartiality and Kaitiakitanga
Click the apply button and include your resume and cover letter.
Applications close on midnight Wednesday, 29 March 2022.
For any queries or to arrange a confidential kōrero, please email email@example.com
The Parliamentary Service and the Office of the Clerk appoint on merit and are committed to diversity and inclusion and good employer principles. We welcome applicants from all walks of life and value the experience that your point of difference brings.
To apply for this job, please go to our job site https://careers.parliament.govt.nz/home and enter the job code 32898GJ
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Office of the Clerk of the House of Representatives|
|Location:||Wellington - Wairarapa|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Legal & courts|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.