Senior Employment Lawyer at Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections), Nationwide
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Collaborative advisory role partnering with our people leaders & HR specialists
- 2 x Positions available
- Opportunity for Senior Employment Lawyer or Intermediate ready to step into a Senior role
- Unique and challenging environment
- Wellington based – Flexible working arrangements considered including location and hours
'Kotahi anō te kaupapa, ko te oranga o te iwi' – ‘There is only one purpose to our work: the wellness and wellbeing of our people.
Ara Poutama Aotearoa is a unique and challenging environment with a varied workforce of nearly 10,000 staff. The Senior Employment Lawyer provides expert in-house employment law advice and support, managing complex/high profile cases in partnership with the People Services teams.
Mō te tūnga | About the role
This a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Employment Lawyer ideally with public sector experience to work within our Legal Services Unit. Working closely with our Employee Relations team, you will liaise and collaborate with our people managers and our HR specialists on a regional and national level to provide expert in-house employment law advice on a range of employment issues such as employment investigations, disciplinary cases and litigation. This will extend to managing mediations to facilitate negotiation and settlement between parties, working with external lawyers, overall ensuring positive and constructive collaboration with parties and finding creative ways to reach mutual solutions.
If successful, you will join a small, close-knit team of legal specialists who are based at our Wellington national office, reporting to the Legal Manager Employment who is based at one of our Nelson sites.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and experience
If this sounds like the right opportunity for you then we encourage you to apply online. The panel will be looking for clear evidence and/or examples within your written applications against the following key requirements:
- Holds a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) and a NZ Law Society practising certificate;
- Sound knowledge of employment relations and human resources practice, and relevant employment legislation / case law in New Zealand;
- Advocacy and mediation experience combined with the ability to speak confidently and authoritatively from a reasoned perspective;
- Ability to manage ER / employment law issues and provide best-practice ER advice and guidance to managers;
- Self-managing and capable of prioritising competing demands while working and collaborating with others;
- Sound knowledge and understanding of Te Tiriti o Waitangi and how it applies to Ara Poutama Aotearoa and our mahi;
- Knowledge (or willingness to learn) Te reo Maori and tikanga
- Strong relationship management skills including a collaborative and consultative approach to working with colleagues and stakeholders; and
- Range of employment law experience – ideally experience in working with ACC and WorkSafe issues and mediation and litigation experience
- Public sector experience and awareness of good employer obligations under the Public Service Act 2020.
We have 2 x full time positions available, however are happy to consider applications if you are looking for part time hours and have the right skills and experience that we are looking for.
If you would like to discuss this opportunity further please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications close on Thursday 2 June 2022.
Utu ā-tau | Salary
The mid point of the salary range is $113,596 and the full range (85%-120%) is $96,557 - $136,316. Appointment and remuneration will reflect skills and experience relevant to the role.
Kano ārai mate KOWHEORI-19 | COVID-19 vaccinations
As part of our COVID-19 response, all people working at Ara Poutama Aotearoa are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to access our workplaces. This is to ensure we continue to do all we can to keep everyone safe from the impacts of COVID-19, now and into the future.
Ko wai mātou | About us
Ara Poutama Aotearoa is a name that has been gifted to us and is our commitment to improving the oranga and safety of the people, whānau, and that of the communities we serve across the motu.
As a values-led organisation, we use the principles of rangatira (leadership), manaaki (respect), wairua (spirituality), kaitiaki (guardianship) and whānau (relationships) to shape how we work and deliver the outcomes in our strategy - Hōkai Rangi (https://careers.corrections.govt.nz/strategy).
Tono ināianei | Apply Now
To apply, please submit a tailored CV and a cover letter describing your motivation for joining the department highlighting relevant skills and experience. Alignment to our kaupapa is critical to our success - we ask that you provide examples which reflect and demonstrate our organisation values.
It is an exciting time to join us and we continue to seek out talented individuals who are committed to an inclusive, vibrant workplace. We recognise and celebrate the uniqueness of individuals, and that of the collective talent in our whānau. All applications must be submitted through our careers site to ensure transparency. Applications received via email will not be considered.
If you want to find out more about a career with us, visit careers.corrections.govt.nz or email our team at email@example.com.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections)|
|Category:||Legal & courts|
|Attachment:||2022 Senior Employment Lawyer Position Description (3).docx (Word, 353KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.