External Experts by Experience at NZ Ombudsman, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Expressions of Interest – External Experts by Experience to support OPCAT examinations
OPCAT - (The United Nations Optional Protocol to the Convention against Torture)
The Chief Ombudsman is establishing a pool of External Experts by Experience (people with lived experience) to support his National Preventive Mechanism (NPM) role in examining the conditions of detention and treatment of people being detained in places of detention such as prisons, immigration facilities, court cells and health and disability facilities, which include secure privately-run aged care facilities, managed isolation and quarantine facilities, mental health facilities, intellectual disability facilities.
He invites expressions of interest from people who are or have been:
- consumers/service users/prisoners/residents/patients of places listed above, or
- advocates for or whanau members of persons who have been in such places of detention, or
- employees, workers or persons with experience providing services in such places of detention.
The material provided in this expression of interest document will form the basis of the role and the expectations should your application be successful.
External Expert by Experience
He aha taau e mahi nei | What you will be doing
The key role of an External Expert by Experience is to provide advice to and support the Chief Ombudsman's examination of the conditions and treatment of persons in places of detention, by:
- Being part of the examination team during an examination (onsite or remote) and/or;
- Providing advice on specific questions/concerns/information that the examination team have in relation to aspects of an examination that the team have undertaken and/or;
- Co-facilitating training to staff who conduct OPCAT examinations on behalf of the Chief Ombudsman and/or;
- Where applicable, provide a Te Ao Māori and cultural perspective to the examinations and wider OPCAT work.
He pūkenga pai |Ideal skills
Ideal External Experts by Experience will preferably have the following experience, skills, and attributes:
Have been a consumer, prisoner, resident, service user or whanau member of a consumer, prisoner, resident, service user or employee and service provider in places of detention preferably within the past five years.
You can bring to the work:
- Independent views and insights that are informed by lived experience;
- ability to understand the context of detention and its impact on people;
- good listening skills and the ability to relate well to people, developing relationships that are based on respect and openness; and/or
- cultural awareness.
Te kowhiringa me te whakatau |Selection and decision
The process for selection will involve considering your short written expression of interest (or contacting us directly to talk to us about your interest) demonstrating how you satisfy the ideal skills and attributes to be considered for this pool of EEBE's. Please attach all information about your experience/background and the names of people who know about and can confirm you experience. Include any information of actual or perceived conflicts of interest you may have.
The closing date for sending us your Expressions of Interest is 11 December.
If you are successful, you will be placed on a list of External Experts by Experience who can be engaged routinely on an hourly rate.
We will work with you to understand any actual or perceived conflicts of interests and how best to manage the conflicts, in line with the Chief Ombudsman's Conflict of Interest Policy. You will be asked to swear an oath or make an affirmation under the Ombudsman Act to not divulge any information you would receive as part of this engagement for the Ombudsman.
Me pehea te tono | How to apply
If you would like to send in an expression of interest, please send it together with the details mentioned above by email to: DirectorOPCAT@ombudsman.parliament.nz
For further information about this EOI, please contact the Director OPCAT
Please attach information that explains or describes your experience (this can be a CV) and the names of persons who can attest to your experience.
What can you expect from us
You can expect that we will proactively support you into the work by providing you with:
- Orientation to the Ombudsman office and his role
- Ongoing training on specific aspects of OPCAT examinations
- Regular communication with dignity and respect.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Position type:||Contract for Services|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.