Consultant Geriatrician at Te Whatu Ora - Health New Zealand Southern, Otago
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Salary: ASMS MECA 2022 (NZD 170,369 - 250,560)
- Join us as we change the future of healthcare in Health New Zealand - Southern (Permanent up to 1.0 FTE negotiable)
Mō te tūranga - About the role
Are you a specialist geriatrician who is innovative, dynamic and looking for an exciting opportunity to work with older people in a progressive team environment? If so, our Older People's Health Service at Dunedin Hospital would welcome your application. We are seeking to employ a full-time (up to 1.0 FTE, FTE negotiable) Consultant Geriatrician to join our experienced team of geriatricians, nurses (including nurse practitioners), and allied health professionals as we prepare to move into the New Dunedin Hospital.
Our service currently provides clinical leadership and support to a combination of inpatient, outpatient and community services to the elderly in the Dunedin and Otago District. Using a team approach, we provide comprehensive services for people with complex age-related health problems We maintain a close liaison with all other hospital and community services. There is an on-call and weekend roster for our SMO team working 1:5.
The working area currently includes the following:
- Inpatient assessment, treatment and rehabilitation ward in Dunedin Public Hospital
- Older Persons Assessment and Liaison Unit (OPAL)
- Orthogeriatric support to frail orthopaedic inpatients
- Outpatient clinics, including some rural clinics throughout Otago
- Memory Clinic (in collaboration with psycho-geriatricians and psychologist)
- Community home visits, in liaison with the Nurse Practitioners
- Support and teaching to Dunedin Medical School students
Our objective is to enable our frail and elderly patients to achieve the highest possible level of independence in order to avoid hospital admission or to return home.
Our emphasis is on the following:
- Promoting 'wellness', independence and participation
- Close liaison with community services
- Comprehensive discharge planning
You will be joining our current medical team which consists of Geriatricians, registrars, house officers. We are looking for someone to join us who is excited about developing a vision for the future of the Older Persons Health Service. To enjoy this role, you'll need to be committed to quality service delivery and development and be able to work effectively as a leader within an inter-disciplinary team.
Mōu ake - About you
A requirement of the position is that you must currently hold (or be eligible for) Vocational/Specialist Registration in Geriatric Medicine with the Medical Council of New Zealand.
Mō mātou - About us
Te Whatu Ora - Southern has the largest geographical coverage of all the New Zealand regions, providing services to 350,000 people in diverse communities. We take pride in all the services we provide, and our aim is to improve, promote and protect the health of our region. We believe that our dedicated and passionate staff are a significant driving force behind the achievement of these standards, and we need more like-minded people to help us continue providing for our community.
Painga - Benefits:
- Work life balance - Potential for a 0.8 - 1.0 FTE
- Access to ski fields within three to four hours drive
- Local beaches with world famous surfing
- Amazing wildlife at your doorstep
- Average commute time of 10-15mins
- University city with Medical School
Utu whānui - Salary range
This role belongs to the ASMS Collective Agreement and falls between the Step 1 ($170,369) and Step 15 ($250,560 per annum pro rata) - dependant on prior experience
Rā mōnehu - Closing Date: Friday, 17 February 2023.
Due to the fast-paced nature of what we do, our vacancy close dates may be subject to change. Don't delay, make sure you apply as soon as possible.
Tono ināianei - Apply now
For a job description or further information, please contact, Agatha Chen, Recruitment Advisor - Senior Medical Officers with your CV. Phone: +64 3 470 9604 or email: email@example.com
If you currently work for Te Whatu Ora- Health New Zealand - Southern, please apply for this role via our internal careers site, found here: Pulse > Applications > Corporate > SuccessFactors
In the interests of protecting our people and our patients, all appointments will be subject to the following:
- Occupational health assessment
- Police vetting / Ministry of Justice safety checks
- Serious misconduct checks (previous Public Service departments and statutory Crown entities only)
Covid vaccination requirements
New employees of Te Whatu Ora Southern will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, which includes two doses and a booster dose of an approved vaccine. If you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine or booster for any reason, please indicate this in your cover letter so we can discuss this with you further and establish if you meet any criteria for an exemption.
We only accept online applications. Please apply via our website: https://careers.southernhealth.nz/job-invite/20322/
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Te Whatu Ora - Health New Zealand Southern|
|Position type:||Permanent Full time|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.