Corrections Officer - New Plymouth at Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections), Taranaki
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Join our Frontline Whānau!
New Plymouth Remand Centre
- New Plymouth Remand Centre is a satellite unit of Whanganui Prison
- Change Lives, Shape Futures- embark on a challenging and rewarding career
- Monday to Friday Operation
About the role | Mō te tūnga
The role of a Āpiha Whare Herehere (Corrections Officer) is about influencing offenders to make the right choices, take the right action at the right time and support their pathway towards an offence-free lifestyle. Our Corrections Officers, both men and women, come from all walks of life and bring a wide range of attributes and life experiences with them. In this job your contribution counts, you can have a positive effect on the lives of others and public safety. It's more challenging, more interesting and more rewarding than you can imagine.
To be eligible you need:
- The right to work in New Zealand or a work visa with at least 12 months remaining
- A full New Zealand Driver Licence (or eligible on a Restricted or International Licence)
- To declare any conﬂicts of interest and previous convictions. Exempt from Clean Slate and all conviction history is released
- The ability to pass a drug test
- Be medically ﬁt for employment and complete a Medical Assessment and Physical Readiness Assessment.
In line with our Strategy Hōkai Rangi , we are prioritising applications from people who have experience in a Kaupapa Māori or Pasifika environment and/or a willingness to learn. Please highlight any relevant experience and/or language skills in your application.
We are looking for a diverse range of candidates, from different cultures with varied backgrounds and experience. Our standards are high so should you apply to join us you will undergo a comprehensive selection process that will assess you against our core requirements. You'll then complete an eleven week initial training course mixed between our National Learning College in Wellington and your home site. In return you'll get opportunities for professional development, promotion and the ability to gain a recognised qualification in Offender Management.
He kōrero mōu | About you
We are seeking candidates who;
- Are passionate about helping others
- Want to work in a people related role
- Are good role models within their community
- Understand and demonstrate our Departmental Values of Whanau, Kaitiaki, Rangatira, Manaaki and Wairua
- Possess skills and experience relevant to working in a varied and challenging environment
- Demonstrate strong integrity and high safety awareness
All candidates are required to complete a full disclosure criminal history check and pre-employment medical, physical and drug testing.
Note: The Criminal History Check is Exempt from The Clean Slate Act. In other words, the Clean Slate Act does not apply to this position. Please declare any and all offences in your application.
Utu ā-tau | Salary
Starting salary of $59,519. Once in the role we have 4 competency levels where you are able to increase your salary with the highest being $69,363.
You also receive a Variable Shift Allowance in addition to your salary.
Ko wai mātou | About us
Ara Poutama Aotearoa is a name that has been gifted to us and is our commitment to improving the oranga and safety of the people, whānau, and that of the communities we serve across the motu.
As a values-led organisation, we use the principles of rangatira (leadership), manaaki (respect), wairua (spirituality), kaitiaki (guardianship) and whānau (relationships) to shape how we work and deliver the outcomes in our strategy - Hōkai Rangi (https://careers.corrections.govt.nz/strategy).
Tono ināianei | Apply Now
To apply, please submit a tailored CV and a cover letter describing your motivation for joining the department highlighting relevant skills and experience. Alignment to our kaupapa is critical to our success - we ask that you provide examples which reflect and demonstrate our organisation values.
It is an exciting time to join us and we continue to seek out talented individuals who are committed to an inclusive, vibrant workplace. We recognise and celebrate the uniqueness of individuals, and that of the collective talent in our whānau. All applications must be submitted through our careers site to ensure transparency. Applications received via email will not be considered.
If you want to find out more about a career with us, visit careers.corrections.govt.nz or email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections)|
|Category:||Defence, corrections & security|
|Attachment:||Corrections_Officer.pdf (PDF, 94KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.