Specialist Inspector Mining at NZ WorkSafe, Auckland - Central
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Specialist Health & Safety Inspector - Mining
- Undertake a range of assessment, advisory, compliance and enforcement-related activities for mining and tunnelling operations
- Lead or contribute to national and local initiatives and projects as required
- Flexible work environment that supports you and the business to succeed
This is a permanent position based in Auckland reporting to Team Leader Mining & Tunnels, Extractives.
WorkSafe New Zealand, Mahi Haumaru Aotearoa, is the primary workplace health and safety regulator – our vision is that everyone who goes to work comes home healthy and safe. Alongside other regulators we lead New Zealand to achieve healthy and safe workplaces through engagement, education and enforcement.
WorkSafe offer a range of benefits, including life, trauma and income protection insurance packages, discounts on health insurance and eye care and learning and development opportunities.
About the Team
Our team is responsible for ensuring regulatory compliance across the mining, tunnelling and quarrying sectors.
There are 1,100 operational extractives sites throughout the country and we have Extractives Specialist Inspectors located in Dunedin, Greymouth, Christchurch, Hamilton, Invercargill, Rotorua and Napier .
About the role
Specialist inspectors in the Extractives unit require specific skills, experience, and qualifications to undertake the core duties of the sector. A major element of this is the ability to undertake in depth analysis of hazards, both identification and mitigation. Some examples of the areas where expertise is required are emergency management, heavy and light vehicle interaction, explosives, slope stability and tunnel boring technology.
The key accountabilities of the Specialist Health & Safety Inspector - Mining are:
- Carry out regular audits and inspections at mining operations (underground, opencast, coal and metalliferous and tunnelling), where potential principal hazards exist, in accordance with Agency operational procedures and guidelines
- Undertake or support enforcement activities in accordance with Agency procedures and processes
- Respond to notified serious harm and emergency situations both during and outside normal office hours and to take immediate action to ensure evidence is protected and that no further harm to others occurs as a direct result of the incident
- Engage with duty-holders and industry bodies to encourage the development and uptake of best practice
- Acting consistently in a way that reflects well on WorkSafe New Zealand as a regulatory agency.
The ideal candidate will have:
- First-class Mine Managers certificate of competence or A-Grade Tunnel Managers certificate of competence preferred
- Civil Engineering or other relevant tertiary-level qualification would be an advantage
- Significant experience in a senior operational management and/or civil/tunnel or other relevant engineering position within a mining operation or tunnelling operation
- A good knowledge of standards, legislation and health and safety requirements applicable to Extractives operations
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to deal with emergency situations where significant harm might have been caused to workers and members of the public
- Ability to work independently or in a team, good self-management skills
COVID-19 Vaccination requirement: All employees are required to be vaccinated in line with our Vaccination Policy.New employees will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to commencing employment.
Click the apply link, complete an application form, and submit a copy of your CV and cover letter. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries, or to find out more about WorkSafe New Zealand go to www.worksafe.govt.nzHow to apply
Applications close at 5pm on 25th January 2022, Tuesday.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Location:||Auckland - Central|
|Attachment:||Specialist Inspector Mining 2022 .pdf (PDF, 147KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.