Technical Officer - Gas Specialist at NZ WorkSafe, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Passionate about the safe supply and use of gas?
- Do you have significant industry experience in gas reticulation, installation or gas appliance safety?
- Use your expertise in a regulatory role for all New Zealand
WorkSafe's Energy Safety team is committed to promoting and ensuring the safe supply and use of gas and electricity. It works with industry and the public to promote high safety and quality standards in networks, installations and products.
Our team of expert technical officers and advisors educate, advise on, investigate, audit, and ensure compliance (enforce) the safety and supply quality frameworks for gas and electricity established by legislation, standards and codes of practice.
We are looking for a Technical Officer (Gas) to join our team. This is a permanent role based in Wellington or Auckland (but open to other locations for the right person). As part of the team, you'll liaise with the best in New Zealand industry, and have a significant impact on gas safety through interventions which change industry and public behaviour.
Ideally you will have:
- Gasfitting registration, or a tertiary gas or mechanical engineering or related qualification
- Extensive relevant gas reticulation, installation, or utilisation industry experience
- Sound technical knowledge and a good understanding of gas supply and utilisation industry issues and the wider stakeholder network
- Ability and initiative to recognise safety regulatory risks, and where safety outcomes could be improved
- Sound knowledge of the administration of regulatory frameworks and standardisation
- Ability to self-manage work portfolios and work well under pressure
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to interpret and administer regulatory requirements and write technical reports in plain language
- Investigation and auditing experience would be an advantage
- Practical risk or compliance management experience
About our team
Our Energy Safety Team's focus is on regulating gas and electricity safety throughout New Zealand. We oversee the safety and supply quality requirements of the Gas Act 1992 and the Electricity Act 1992 and are responsible for developing and applying internationally accepted standards for New Zealand's electricity and gas safety and supply quality.
Check out Claude and our ‘Switch on your smarts' campaign at https://claude.worksafe.govt.nz/
We offer a supportive team environment and are committed to career development. If you are looking to be recognised for your valuable knowledge of the industry or you are already working in the gas sector and are passionate about safety, we welcome your application.
As part of our remuneration framework the full salary range for the position is from $93,047 to $124,062, and our expected starting base salary for the right person is from $98,216 to $108,554. Note: KiwiSaver/SSRSS employer contribution is additional to/on top of your base salary.
WorkSafe New Zealand, Mahi Haumaru Aotearoa, is the primary workplace health and safety regulator – our vision is that everyone who goes to work comes home healthy and safe. Our people are passionate about our vision and embrace and demonstrate our WorkSafe Values - Ngā Mātāpono:
- Whakakotahi – we're united in a strong purpose
- Kōrero mai – we engage meaningfully
- Tiakina mai - we're entrusted with a duty of care.
We operate on a flexible by default basis, allowing you and your manager to create a flexible work experience that supports you and the business to succeed.
Our range of benefits include:
- Free life, trauma and income protection insurances
- Discounts on health insurance and eye care
- Four weeks annual leave plus three days WorkSafe leave
- 15 days sick leave
- $400 contribution towards setting up your home workstation, and
- Learning and professional development opportunities
There are a range of networks you can become part of, such as our Te Rōpū Atuapiko Rainbow Network (we're also Rainbow Tick accredited), Māori Network, WorkSafe Pacific Network and our Kapa Haka group.
COVID-19 Vaccination policy
WorkSafe strongly encourages and supports all our people to be vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19, however our current policy position is that vaccination is not a requirement for employment. Please note that WorkSafe may, if needed, reintroduce a vaccination requirement, or other approaches for managing a significant outbreak.
How to apply
Click the apply link, complete an application form and submit a copy of your CV and cover letter.
For further information please contact email@example.com with any queries (these will be responded to after 9 January), or to find out more about working for us, go to www.worksafe.govt.nz/about-us/careers/
Applications close on 30 January 2023 - with interviews to take place in mid-February 2023.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Category:||Workplace Health and Safety|
|Attachment:||PD - Technical Officer Energy Safety (Gas).pdf (PDF, 145KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.