Employment Relations Specialist at Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections), Waikato
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
He aha te mea nui o te ao? He tangata, he tangata, he tangata - What is the most important thing in the world? It is the people, it is the people, it is the people (Maori proverb)
Mō te tūnga | About the role
Working closely with the Central Region People Services Manager, the position will provide support and guidance on employment relationship matters including employment investigation processes and services. Providing dedicated employment investigation support leading to faster and potentially better outcomes for the individuals and our business through prompt resolution.
A large focus of this role will be increasing manager capability in the ER space, responsible for coaching managers who may be required to step into investigations, upskilling manager capability and delivery in employment relations matters.
The role is based in Hamilton within the People Services Team of 7 and will require travel across the Central Region to support the work programme. The People Services Team support our three Prison Facilities and Community Service Districts and from time to time will also support activity nationally requiring travel throughout the country.
Mōu | About you
Recognised as an expert in employment relations practice and law, you will work proactively alongside leaders and sites with various capability levels in the ER space – we are seeking candidates who are able to demonstrate the following:
- Technical knowledge of employment relationship problem processes, investigations and lawful processes
- Sound knowledge of employment law and other relevant legislation (including the ‘good employer' principle)
- Understands and has experience in managing a range of investigations relating to performance management, disadvantage, misconduct and serious misconduct
- Sound interpersonal skills with the ability to build rapport and trust quickly, and display empathy
- Can manage stressful working situations and has evidence of use of conflict resolution techniques
- Personal and professional resilience, with the ability to role model behaviours, exercising sound judgement, problem solving and decision making
- An in-depth understanding of the Treaty of Waitangi/Te Tiriti o Waitangi and its application to the work of government departments
- Experience and understanding of Te Ao Māori
- Strong level of cultural capability and awareness, able to work effectively with diverse groups of people
The salary band for this role is between $75,829 - $107,052 depending on skills and experience.
Mō mātou | About us
Ara Poutama Aotearoa is a name that has been gifted to us and is our commitment to improving the oranga and safety of the people, whānau, and that of the communities we serve across the motu.
As a values-led organisation, we use the principles of rangatira (leadership), manaaki (respect), wairua (spirituality), kaitiaki (guardianship) and whānau (relationships) to shape how we work and deliver the outcomes in our strategy - Hōkai Rangi (https://arapoutama.page.link/Eit5).
Tono ināianei | Apply Now
To apply, please submit a tailored CV and a cover letter describing your motivation for applying for this position highlighting relevant skills and experience. Alignment to our kaupapa is critical to our success - we ask that you provide examples which reflect and demonstrate our organisation values.
Applications close Wednesday 15th December. Shortlisting will take place soon after and candidates will be updated via email prior to the festive season break.
If you have any specific questions about this role, feel free to contact Carly Apps – Senior Recruitment Adviser Central Region on firstname.lastname@example.org
COVID-19 vaccination requirements
From 8 December 2021, all people working inside prisons will be required to be fully vaccinated as part of the COVID-19 Public Health Response (Vaccinations) Order 2021. People in prison are some of the most vulnerable to COVID-19 and due to the ease of transmission, extending the Vaccination Order supports the safety and wellbeing of our staff and people in prison.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections)|
|Category:||Human resources, recruitment & training|
|Attachment:||Employment Relations Specialist Position Description.pdf (PDF, 242KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.