Corrections Officer - Tongariro Prison at Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections), Waikato
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
‘Ehara taku toa i te toa takitahi engari, he toa takitini, takimano kē'
‘My strength is not that of my own but that of many.'
Te Tūnga | Job
Corrections Officer, He Āpiha Whare Herehere is about being a great role model and looking for opportunities to engage with people in a positive way, you have the ability to not only change the lives of whānau but also influence change through your interactions.
He kōrero mōu | About you
- Do you understand the importance of whakapapa?
- Do you have a positive mindset?
- Can you engage with whānau, hāpori, iwi and hapu?
- Do you want to make a positive impact in your community?
- How might you feel if you could change someone's life?
If these questions create some curiosity, then this role might be for you.
Ngā Kawenga| The Role
Correction officers will
- ĀRAHI - supervise people's daily routines
- MANAAKI - help people engage in their rehabilitation programme and attend appointments or tangihanga.
- WHAKAKIPAKIPA - motivate and inspire people to make positive changes
- HĀPAI - monitor and manage health, safety and behaviours.
- MAHITAHI - work closely with whānau and other key stakeholders
- MAHI - be able to work 8, 10 or 12 hour shifts
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and experience
If you have the following skills, attributes then we want you.
- Ability to engage with all cultures.
- Understand the importance of tikanga and te reo māori within our unique settings.
- Ability to solve problems and work collaboratively.
- A fresh critical thinker, using curiosity and imagination to generate new ideas.
- Inspiring others with enthusiasm and a take action approach.
- Passionate about supporting people to build confidence, resilience and wellbeing.
- Competent using online technology.
- Excellent spoken and written communication.
- Hold a current full New Zealand driver license.
Utu Ā-Tau | Salary
Starting at $54,793 increasing to $57,432 after initial training, with the ability to progress to $67,327.
Ko wai mātou | Who we are
Ara Poutama Aotearoa is a name that has been gifted to us and is our commitment to improving the oranga and safety of the people, whānau, and that of the communities we serve across the motu.
As a values-led organisation, we use the principles of rangatira (leadership), manaaki (respect), wairua (spirituality), kaitiaki (guardianship) and whānau (relationships) to shape how we work and deliver the outcomes in our strategy - Hōkai Rangi (https://careers.corrections.govt.nz/strategy).
Tongariro Prison supports people from sentencing through to reintegration, providing access to holistic kaupapa Māori support services that recognise the collective strength and capability of whānau, hapū and iwi.
Kano ārai mate KOWHEORI-19 | COVID-19 vaccinations
All people working frontline inside prisons and in the community will be required to be fully vaccinated as part of the COVID-19 Public Health Response (Vaccinations) Order 2021. Due to the ease of transmission, the Vaccination Order supports the safety and wellbeing of our people and those we work with.
Tono ināianei | Apply Now
To apply, please submit a tailored CV and a cover letter describing your motivation for joining the department highlighting relevant skills and experience. Alignment to our kaupapa is critical to our success - we ask that you provide examples which reflect and demonstrate our organisation values.
It is an exciting time to join us and we continue to seek out talented individuals who are committed to an inclusive, vibrant workplace. We recognise and celebrate the uniqueness of individuals, and that of the collective talent in our whānau. All applications must be submitted through our careers site to ensure transparency. Applications received via email will not be considered.
If you want to find out more about a career with us, visit careers.corrections.govt.nz or email our team at email@example.com.
‘Kotahi anō te kaupapa, ko te oranga o te iwi'
‘There is only one purpose to our work: the wellness and wellbeing of our people.'
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections)|
|Category:||Defence, corrections & security|
|Attachment:||Job_Description_Corrections Officer_Jan 2019.pdf (PDF, 255KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.