Director People Operations at Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections), Wellington (Te Whanganui a Tara)
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Director – People Operations
- Be a key member of our People Leadership team
- Work directly with our Chief People Officer
- Create seamless and efficient support to enable delivery
Do you enjoy enabling and running a supportive and efficient function? Can you motivate Managers and their teams to share a common vision and purpose? If so, then you'll want to, and we want you to, join our collaborative and growing team!
Mō te tūnga | About the role
Our People & Capability team covers a wide range of functions, focused on supporting our people to keep our communities safe and change lives. For the past 8-months we have had a renewed and enabling structure across the People team, and we are ready to recruit YOU to lead and support in delivering our organisational strategy – Hōkai Rangi.
As our Director of People Operations, you will be a key member of our People Leadership team and be responsible for the enablement and running of the People Operations function. Your team of more than 75 delivers advice and support to Ara Poutama people leaders and staff on their day-to-day people-related matters, along with the running of our payroll, people operations, and our Service & System Improvement function. As Director, you will also work closely with regional leaders and other teams in the seamless delivery of services to customers, promoting People Operations within the organisation as the first point of contact for queries.
Some of the role accountabilities include:
- Leading the People Operations Hub on the development Service Level 0 (intranet self-service), Service Level 1 services, including the ongoing maintenance of knowledge and case management
- Leading the Service & Systems Improvement team focused on supporting the overall function to go faster by supporting priority enhancements within P&C services and systems
- Leading and supporting Payroll to focus on processing pay by managing escalations and supporting the creation of strong relationships across the Department, including all aspects of assurance and monitoring, as well as providing ongoing support for key departmental projects and initiatives where pay may be directly impacted
- Maintaining effective vendor relationships and that the procurement processes relating to these are scheduled and maintained, as well as maintaining our internal IT relationship connections
- Designing and the delivery of induction and training support for all People team members on use of the platforms we operate
Mōu | About you
To be successful in this role you will ideally have:
- Experience leading and developing shared or operational services, call centre-type operations, processes, and procedures
- Proven experience at a senior leadership level
- Working knowledge of HR policies, laws, and regulations
- Demonstrated experience in leading and driving change within a challenging operating environment by motivating leaders and their teams to share a common vision and purpose
- Ability to demonstrate hands-on experience in delivering continuous improvement projects
- Demonstrated ability managing multiple stakeholders and effectively partnering with others to deliver
- Strong external network providing access to best HR and talent practices and innovation
- An understanding (or an openness to developing an understanding) of the Treaty of Waitangi/Te Tiriti o Waitangi and its application to the work of government departments
- A tertiary qualification in business, HR, or other relevant subject is desirable, or a strong track record of excellent performance within required P&C areas
Some travel may be required from time to time.
The full salary band for this position is $151,619 - $214,050 per annum. Appointment and remuneration will reflect skills and experience relevant to the role.
Mō mātou | About us
Ara Poutama Aotearoa is a name that has been gifted to us and is our commitment to improving the oranga and safety of the people, whānau, and that of the communities we serve across the motu.
As a values-led organisation, we use the principles of rangatira (leadership), manaaki (respect), wairua (spirituality), kaitiaki (guardianship) and whānau (relationships) to shape how we work and deliver the outcomes in our strategy - Hōkai Rangi (https://arapoutama.nz/hokairangi).
Tono ināianei | Apply Now
To apply, please submit a tailored CV and a cover letter describing your motivation for joining the department highlighting relevant skills and experience. Alignment to our kaupapa is critical to our success - we ask that you provide examples which reflect and demonstrate our organisation values.
Applications for this role will remain open and we will reach out to suitable candidates as applications come in – apply today!
For any questions or a confidential conversation please contact Rachel.McGrory@Corrections.govt.nz
It is an exciting time to join us and we continue to seek out talented individuals who are committed to an inclusive, vibrant workplace. We recognise and celebrate the uniqueness of individuals, and that of the collective talent in our whānau. All applications must be submitted through our careers site to ensure transparency. Applications received via email will not be considered.
If you want to find out more about a career with us, visit careers.corrections.govt.nz or email our team at email@example.com.
COVID-19 vaccination requirements
All employees of Ara Poutama Aotearoa are required to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. As this role works within our National Office/Regional Office (to be updated according to the role) you will need to be fully-vaccinated by April 28 2022. In addition, you will be required to have had a booster vaccine within six months of receiving your second dose. Due to the ease of transmission, the Vaccination Order supports the safety and wellbeing of our people and those we work with.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections)|
|Location:||Wellington (Te Whanganui a Tara)|
|Category:||Human resources, recruitment & training|
|Attachment:||Director of People Operations JD.pdf (PDF, 290KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.