Manager - Employment Relations - Resolutions and Capability at Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections), Wellington (Te Whanganui a Tara)
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Manager – Employment Relations – Resolutions and Capability
- Lead a team responsible for developing and implementing processes and systems relating to employment relationship problem resolution
- Improve how we manage and resolve complex employment relations issues
- Build/enhance our capability to deal effectively with employment relationship issues
Mō te tūnga | About the role
People & Capability covers a wide range of functions, focused on keeping our communities safe and changing lives. Everyone Safe Every Day - we promote and enable outstanding worker health, safety and wellbeing outcomes. Our people include staff, offenders and our wider communities. This Group:
- Recruit, induct, develop, pay and support our staff
- Promote and enable outstanding worker health, safety and wellbeing outcomes
- Deliver and support the executive and ministers in the machinery of government, engage and support regulatory relationships, manage and deliver internal and external comms support and advice, incl. media
- Support the delivery of change across the multiple programmes of work across Ara Poutama Aotearoa
- Implement cross agency capability through our High Impact Innovation team
As the Manager ER Resolutions and Capability you will lead a team responsible for developing and implementing the processes and systems relating to employment relationship problem resolution. This includes overseeing and monitoring of the advice, guidance and support to the regions and business partners about complex ER matters. It ensures a consistent and effective approach in triaging and advice that is provided to regions and our people leaders
Accountabilities will include:
- Continue to improve how we manage and resolve complex employment relations issues
- Ensure consistent employee relations processes across the organisation
- Managing a working relationship with the People Operations Centre and, Regional People Operations where initial advice may be sought and/or an issue may arise.
- Supporting the resolution of more complex employment relationship problems with a team of ER Specialists that can be located and/or deployed across regions.
- Managing the relationship with the Employment Law team.
- Overall responsibility for addressing our high levels of ‘unavailable staff, working through a team of ER Specialists.
- Escalating ER matters as appropriate, ensuring the right people are briefed Contribute to HR projects or contribute ER expertise to departmental projects
- Managing and monitor reporting of ER issues to ensure accurate and timely information is available as required
- Building / Enhancing the capability of the People Operations Centre Advisers, Regional People Advisers and People Leaders to deal effectively with employment relationship issues
- Uplifting overall leadership capability to deal with ER problems moving forward
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and experience
The successful ER Manager Resolutions and Capability will have the following experience.
- Significant technical knowledge and experience of employment relations issues
- Significant knowledge of employment law and other relevant legislation (including the ‘good employer' principle)
- Proven leadership skills, demonstrating ability to set vision and values
- Advanced interpersonal skills with the ability to build successful working relationships with key stakeholders including technical experts
- Advanced relationship management skills, including the ability to influence senior leaders and lead co-operative efforts and identify and manage potential areas of conflict
- An understanding (or an openness to developing an understanding) of the Treaty of Waitangi/Te Tiriti o Waitangi and its application to the work of government departments
- Strong level of cultural capability and awareness, able to work effectively with diverse groups of people.
- A tertiary qualification in Law, ER/, HR or other relevant subject is preferred.
Ko wai mātou | About us
Ara Poutama Aotearoa is a name that has been gifted to us and is our commitment to improving the oranga and safety of the people, whānau, and that of the communities we serve across the motu.
As a values-led organisation, we use the principles of rangatira (leadership), manaaki (respect), wairua (spirituality), kaitiaki (guardianship) and whānau (relationships) to shape how we work and deliver the outcomes in our strategy - Hōkai Rangi (https://careers.corrections.govt.nz/strategy).
Tono ināianei | Apply Now
To apply, please submit a tailored CV and a cover letter describing your motivation for joining the department highlighting relevant skills and experience. Alignment to our kaupapa is critical to our success - we ask that you provide examples which reflect and demonstrate our organisation values.
Applications for this position will close on Thursday 7th July 2022.
For any questions or a confidential conversation please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
It is an exciting time to join us and we continue to seek out talented individuals who are committed to an inclusive, vibrant workplace. We recognise and celebrate the uniqueness of individuals, and that of the collective talent in our whānau. All applications must be submitted through our careers site to ensure transparency. Applications received via email will not be considered.
If you want to find out more about a career with us, visit careers.corrections.govt.nz or email our team at email@example.com.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections)|
|Location:||Wellington (Te Whanganui a Tara)|
|Category:||Human resources, recruitment & training|
|Attachment:||1638823 - ER Resolutions Manager - JD.pdf (PDF, 289KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.