Manager, Behavioural Science Aotearoa at Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections), Wellington (Te Whanganui a Tara)
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Manager, Behavioural Science Aotearoa
- Are you up for the challenge? Apply behavioural science to complex issues facing the justice sector
- Make a difference: improve outcomes across the justice sector by applying and testing innovative solutions
- Join a values-led organisation and provide strong and visible leadership for direct reports
- Permanent, full-time position
Mō te tīma/About our Team
Almost everything we do within the Justice Sector involves and influences behaviour, whether it's encouraging people to attend Court, supporting people to adhere to their parole conditions, or trying to reduce offending.
The Behavioural Science Aotearoa team work collaboratively with multiple Justice Sector agencies to understand people and their motivations so that we can design human-centred approaches to enable behaviour change that improves the wellbeing of people and communities.
We blend knowledge from behavioural sciences (such as psychology, economics and cognitive neuroscience) with community and staff voices, data analysis, and Te Ao Māori values to design initiatives that are well suited to work in New Zealand.
Our team have a great working culture and love what we do. We value diversity of thought, are curious and motivated to deliver great outcomes for New Zealanders.
Mō te tūnga | About the role
It is your role as the Manager to lead this talented team to deliver a series of projects. The role is multifaceted and includes a blend of people leadership, strategic leadership, change management, and improving operations, services and policy. You will set the work programme in close collaboration with Justice Sector colleagues and will participate as part of the management team of the High Impact Innovation Programme.
We are looking for someone who will put people at the centre of their work, who can grow and nurture strong partnerships, is innovative, thinks critically, shows humility, and who can develop and deliver fit for purpose human-centred solutions. Specifically, your responsibilities will include:
- Creating a culture that drives a high level of performance and engagement, with a strong focus on the customer.
- Managing relationships and driving cohesion across a complex and changing stakeholder environment, including working with Iwi and Māori groups.
- Championing behavioural science interventions and advice, ensuring key stakeholders across multiple agencies and communities are involved.
- Increasing the team's cultural capability and upholding our Te Tiriti responsibilities.
- Ensuring robust research methodology, and that the effectiveness of change is assessed, and evaluation is built into projects.
- Communicating clear, measurable, challenging, and achievable performance goals and ensuring these are met.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and experience
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates who also demonstrate alignment with our kaupapa. Specifically, we will be looking for evidence and examples within your written application against the following essential requirements:
- Outstanding relationship management skills. Able to navigate across multiple organisations, deal with ambiguity, and influence to drive transformation across a complex system.
- Experience managing multi-disciplinary teams by creating a high trust, enabling and inclusive culture that is focussed on people and learning.
- Strong strategic leadership skills and courage to challenge.
- Communicating with a wide range of audiences on complex issues to a high standard.
- An enthusiasm for innovating to deliver results for the people of Aotearoa.
- Knowledge of behavioural insights and/or applied research is desirable.
- Experience supporting Māori-focussed mahi and Māori staff members is desirable.
Utu ā-tau | Salary
The midpoint of the salary range is $151,581 and the full range (85%-120%) is $128,884 - $181,897. Appointment and remuneration will reflect skills and experience relevant to the role.
Wā Mahi Ngāwari - Flexible Working
If you're interested, we are open to discussing flexible working options with you. This can take many forms such as, remote working, flexible start and finish times. Please feel free to talk to us at the about the flexibility you need and we will explore what's possible for the role.
Mō mātou | About us
Ara Poutama Aotearoa is a name that has been gifted to us and is our commitment to improving the oranga and safety of the people, whānau, and that of the communities we serve across the motu.
As a values-led organisation, we use the principles of rangatira (leadership), manaaki (respect), wairua (spirituality), kaitiaki (guardianship) and whānau (relationships) to shape how we work and deliver the outcomes in our strategy - Hōkai Rangi (https://arapoutama.nz/hokairangi).
Tono ināianei | Apply Now
To apply, please submit a tailored CV and a cover letter describing your motivation for joining the department highlighting relevant skills and experience. Alignment to our kaupapa is critical to our success - we ask that you provide examples which reflect and demonstrate our organisation values.
Applications for this role will close on Thursday 8th December 2022.
It is an exciting time to join us and we continue to seek out talented individuals who are committed to an inclusive, vibrant workplace. We recognise and celebrate the uniqueness of individuals, and that of the collective talent in our whānau. All applications must be submitted through our careers site to ensure transparency. Applications received via email will not be considered.
If you want to find out more about a career with us, visit careers.corrections.govt.nz or email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ara Poutama Aotearoa (Department of Corrections)|
|Location:||Wellington (Te Whanganui a Tara)|
|Category:||Policy & analysis|
|Attachment:||PD - Manager Behavioural Sciences Aotearoa.pdf (PDF, 351KB)
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.