Department of Conservation
Science and Environment
Are you someone who is passionate about the conservation of New Zealand’s natural flora and fauna, skilled at field delivery and passionate about sharing your skills and knowledge with others? If yes, then this is the job for you.
A unique opportunity has become available within our Central Plateau District team based in Turangi.
As Senior Ranger, Biodiversity you will be joining our talented Operations team carrying out critical natural heritage conservation work programmes across the Central Plateau District.
You will have defined leadership responsibilities including the ability to plan and authorise technical work programmes relating to:
• Animal and plant pest control programmes
• Ecosystem restoration
• Threatened species management
• Fire prevention and control for the District
• Boundary fence maintenance and replacement
• Management of the Kaimanawa Wild Horse population
Your day to day work will take you across the district planning and leading biodiversity work programmes on and off public conservation land, according to work plans.
Your skills and experience in natural heritage work will be vitally important to others on the ground and for teaching, coaching and supporting Rangers, community groups, iwi and volunteers doing conservation work and overseeing complex technical work on the ground.
The successful applicant will have:
• Natural heritage or conservation management qualifications
• Extensive experience in the practical management of threatened plant and
animal populations and the execution of pest control operations
• Specialist experience/qualifications in terrestrial pest control and
threatened plant and animal populations
• Experience as technical lead of a work team
• Project management experience
• Skilled at coaching, training and supporting staff and the acquisition of
• Good public relations skills to communicate and work with our
communities, contractors, stakeholders and Iwi
At times this role will require you to work in the backcountry and outside normal office hours
Please apply online. Applications must include a cover letter, CV and evidence of the required capabilities as per the role description.
For any queries, please contact Dave Lumley, firstname.lastname@example.org, VPN 6210 or telephone (027) 4746332, quoting vacancy400/3710
Applications close at 5pm on Monday, 12 December 2016