Care Worker at Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, Canterbury
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Care Worker, Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children
Kohurihuri Supervised Group Home, Christchurch
• Permanent, Full Time Opportunity
• Salary $45,472 - $50,246 (depending on experience)
• Are you passionate about helping tamariki and rangatahi thrive?
• Are you skilled at building relationships with tamariki and rangatahi?
Oranga Tamariki operates a therapeutic youth home in Christchurch for up to four young people at a time. This home is a place of safety where young people aged between 10 -18 have the opportunity to address unsafe challenging behaviours and develop life skills. The purpose is to support young people in making good life choices, strengthening whānau relationships, and safe reintegration back into the community.
An opportunity has arisen for an experienced care worker to provide safety and care overnight for the four tamariki in the home. You do not work in isolation; another staff member is also in the home during these hours. This is a unique opportunity to positively influence the lives of young people in your community.
This is a 40 hour per week position worked on a three week rotating roster. You will be rostered to work from 2:30pm - 11pm on a 3 week rotating roster with one weekend off in each cycle
About the Team:
We are a passionate group, dedicated to improving outcomes for children and tamariki in our care and to support them to realise their potential. We are dedicated to unlocking potential in our tamariki, who are always seeking new opportunities, inspiring others, and making connections, and building relationships built on trust and respect.
Working in the whare is both challenging and rewarding. We're looking for people who are committed to working with tamariki to help them realise their talents, who have knowledge or experience in the care of at-risk youth or relevant field, for example, education, health or social services.
You are a positive role model for others, values-driven, enjoy working collaboratively and are motivated by building strong, open relationships with others. You are committed to leading by example at all times. To be considered, you will need to:
• have previous experience working with young people with complex needs, and a passion to help young people realise their full potential
• meet the VCA safety checking and Ministry vetting requirements (police check etc.)
• have a full clean New Zealand drivers' licence
• have a belief and commitment to ensuring that the paramount element of importance in your work is the safety of and outcomes for children and young persons
• be a strong team player and positive role model
• demonstrate initiative and sound judgement, with an ability to 'think on your feet'
• have experience developing rapport with young people
• be self-directed in work practices
• effective time management
• strong communication skills (you will need to write succinct, factual and audience appropriate reports)
• experience in residential care work as an employee or volunteer or have relevant life skills
• an understanding of interventions and treatment approaches to effect positive behavioural change
• an ability to deliver structured programmes
• an interest in sports and fitness, tikanga Maori or music/arts
If you want to be part of a team that is committed to working with young people to help them realise their absolute potential, then we would love to hear from you.
How to apply:
Please upload your CV, cover letter and complete the online application form. Your cover letter will be a key part of our assessment process, so please highlight how your experience relates to the competencies listed in the position description.
If you are an Oranga Tamariki employee already, please ensure you register or login using your work email address. For reporting and transparency, it is important that all applications are submitted through our careers site, please do not email through applications and/or CVs.
For further information please contact email@example.com
Applications close on 26th May 2021
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.