Social Worker - Caregiver at Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, Auckland
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Social Worker Caregiver - Tamaki Makaurau Placement Team
- Specialised role, focusing on supporting Oranga Tamariki family home caregivers and staff to provide the best possible care for the tamariki and rangatahi in their care
- Opportunity to review the family home model in 2021 with regional leadership team for future direction in line with Te Kahu Aroha
- Central Auckland Location
Mō mātou | About us
Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children has a commitment to putting tamariki and rangatahi at the heart of what we do. In our work, we aim to demonstrate these values:
- We put Tamariki first
- We believe Aroha is vital
- We respect the Mana of people
- We are Tika and Pono
- We value Whakapapa
- We recognise that Oranga is a journey
Our purpose is to ensure that all tamariki are in loving whānau and communities where oranga tamariki can be realised. We believe that by getting involved early in their lives and showing love and care, we give children the best chance of growing into happy thriving New Zealanders.
Mō te tūnga | About the role
The role of a Caregiver Social Worker is varied and rewarding. The needs of caregivers are being brought to the forefront of practice in recognition of the important role they play in the lives of tamariki who cannot live safely at home. You will ensure our caregivers understand their part in a child's journey through care, are prepared with the skills and information they need to care and are supported to provide nurturing, safe and stable homes for tamariki. Your work will include supporting Oranga Tamariki family home caregivers as well as resource workers who staff these homes.
Collaborating with the child's Social Worker will be a key component of the role as you work together to provide great outcomes for tamariki who need caring for. You'll also be working with other agencies and providers to ensure the needs of our caregivers are met.
The Tamaki Makaurau Placement Team works from a strengths-based perspective and provides support to Tamaki Makaurau Sites, both Services for Children and Families and Youth Justice to ensure placements and resources are utilised to achieve positive change for the tamariki, whanau and caregivers. You will receive a full induction into the role, supervision, and the support of a strong peer group. This role requires excellent assessment, communication and problem-solving skills, and the ability to work with caregivers and resource workers from all walks of life who have varied motivations for providing care.
Ngā pūmanawatanga ōu | What you will bring
We are looking for candidates that demonstrate the following:
- A recognised Social Work qualification by the Social Worker Registration Board (SWRB)
- Full registration with New Zealand's Social Worker Registration Board
- Demonstrated resilience, critical thinking and problem-solving techniques
- Upholding the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi and demonstrating this in practice
- Having a good understanding of section 7(AA) of The Oranga Tamariki Act
- Passion and vision for caregivers and what they need to succeed
- Excellent relationship management skills
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills
- A valid and clean New Zealand's driver's licence
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
- A challenging, fascinating and rewarding career
- Colleagues who are committed to the highest standards of strengths-based social work
- On-going training and regular supervision to support you in achieving your personal and professional goals
Oranga Tamariki offer an impartial remuneration package, that offers progression annually for experience through tenure. We offer a vibrant and supportive team, flexible work options and a genuine commitment to wellbeing.
To see all the benefits of working for Oranga Tamariki, please visit https://mahi.orangatamariki.govt.nz/working-with-us/employee-benefits/
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
Apply online with your CV and Covering Letter. If you are an Oranga Tamariki employee already, please ensure you apply with a log in using your Oranga Tamariki email address.
At Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, our highest priority is the safety and welfare of our kaimahi and the tamariki and whānau we support. We have strict health & safety measures to keep our people safe and as part of this role, you will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, or intend to be prior to starting with us. We may also ask you to undertake COVID-19 tests during your employment.
If you have any questions about role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close: Wednesday 8th December 2021
Oranga Tamariki is committed to developing a diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace. We provide equal employment opportunities and welcome applications from everyone who can meet the requirements of the role. We also support flexible working arrangements.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Social, welfare & community|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
|File links:||Caregiver Social Worker - Position Description Including Addendum May 2019.pdf|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.