Residential Youth Worker at Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, Bay of Plenty
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Permanent, Full Time, Rotorua
Are you looking for a challenging but rewarding career?
Do you demonstrate resilience, maturity, reliability, honesty and common-sense?
Can you work rostered shifts - early mornings, late evenings, weekends and public holidays?
Mō mātou | About us
Te Maioha o Parekarangi Youth Justice Residence, just outside Rotorua, provides a safe, secure and supportive environment where rangatahi (young people) who have offended can make changes and get their lives back on track. In addition to maintaining secure facilities, we aim to help rehabilitate young offenders.
Residential Youth Workers understand that the causes of offending are complex, and that successfully dealing with young offenders, demands action beyond simple punitive measures. We care for up to 30 young men aged 13 to 17 years old who are involved in the Youth Justice system.
Mō te tūnga | About the role
Residential Youth Workers provide rangatahi with the confidence and skills to become positive contributors to their whānau and communities.
Guiding a behavioural change is a massive task and means our residential youth workers have many responsibilities, including:
- Ensuring that a safe and secure environment is maintained for the benefit of the rangatahi, staff and the community
- Supporting young offenders in their personal growth and rehabilitation with a focus on health, education, training and employment
- Working with rangatahi to help them build and strengthen relationships with their whānau and communities and encouraging them to act on referrals to services
Ngā pūmanawatanga ōu | What you will bring
- A full, clean, valid driver licence
- Meet the Vulnerable Children's Act safety checking and Police Vetting requirements
- A valid Visa - New Zealand Residency or Citizenship
- Resilience, initiative and a proactive approach with a positive outlook
- It would be an advantage if you have a tertiary education within psychology, social sciences, social work, sports, arts or teaching. However, life experience is also taken into account.
- Flexibility to work different shifts - mornings, evenings, weekends and public holidays
- Experience working with rangatahi, physically able to keep up with energetic teenagers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adapt to your audience
- Knowledge of Tikanga and Te Reo would be an advantage
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
Oranga Tamariki offer an impartial remuneration package, that offers progression annually for experience through tenure. Annual remuneration for this position starts between $45,039.56 and $56,454.44 (plus 20% penal rates) dependent on experience. We offer a vibrant and supportive team, flexible work options and a genuine commitment to wellbeing. We offer significant training and professional development so that you can thrive and grow. We welcome diversity and are committed to working in an inclusive and respectful way. This is your opportunity to apply your skills and experience to the wellbeing of tamariki and rangatahi.
To see all the benefits of working for Oranga Tamariki, please visit https://mahi.orangatamariki.govt.nz/working-with-us/employee-benefits/
Applications close: 9 December 2021
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
Apply online with your CV and Covering Letter. If you are an Oranga Tamariki employee already, please ensure you apply with a log in using your Oranga Tamariki email address. If you have any questions about role, please contact Mirko.Tojaga@ot.govt.nz
At Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, our highest priority is the safety and welfare of our kaimahi and the tamariki and whānau we support. We have strict health & safety measures to keep our people safe and as part of this role, you will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, or intend to be prior to starting with us. We may also ask you to undertake COVID-19 tests during your employment.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children|
|Location:||Bay of Plenty|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
|File links:||Residential Youth Worker - Position Description (T1096744).pdf|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.