Medical Laboratory Technician (Lab Plus) Diagnostic Genetics at Auckland District Health Board (Central Auckland), Auckland
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- New Zealand’s leading hospital laboratory
- Collaborative and supportive work environment
- Dedicated friendly team
We are looking for an experienced and motivated Medical Laboratory Technician to join our pre-processing team with the Diagnostic Genetics Service. This is an excellent opportunity to work with NZ’s largest and highly specialised hospital based laboratory service.
In this role, you will perform DNA and RNA extraction from a variety of patient samples, DNA/RNA quantitation, sample registration, and organise send-away of patient samples to external laboratories for testing. Critically, you will ensure delivery of high quality and timely services in line with clinical expectations. This role is primarily based within the Pre-Processing Team and there will be opportunities to work in in other sections of the lab including molecular genetics and microarrays to develop experience in a variety of laboratory techniques.
For more information, please contact Morgan Hand MHand@adhb.govt.nz
LabPLUS is an IANZ accredited and is a major referral medical laboratory in New Zealand for specialised laboratory tests providing tertiary and quaternary laboratory services to the greater Auckland and Northland region. Test referrals originate from hospitals, community laboratories and research units throughout New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. We are the leading laboratory provider for Diagnostic Genetics services in New Zealand.
LabPLUS provides pathology and laboratory medicine support for Auckland District Health Board hospital services provided from Auckland City Hospital, Starship Children’s Hospital, National Women's Health, and the Greenlane Clinical Centre. Visit our website www.labplus.co.nz for more information.
About the department
The Diagnostic Genetics laboratory provides a comprehensive service using both cytogenetic and molecular genetics techniques enabling us to resolve clinical diagnoses with a genetic component. We analyse pre- and post-natal samples, providing predictive testing, and confirmation of a clinical diagnosis in the case of symptomatic individuals. The Molecular Genetics team specialise in diagnostic testing for the inherited causes of cancer, diabetes, cardiac diseases as well as metabolic and neurological disorders. The Pre-processing team also runs a send away service for genetic testing not provided locally.
To be successful in this role you will have the following skills and attributes:
- Qualified Medical Laboratory Technician registered with the Medical Sciences Council of NZ and hold a current APC.
- Previous work experience in a diagnostic medical laboratory preferably with practical experience in molecular genetic techniques and nucleic acid extraction.
- A methodical and organised approach to work with a keen focus on accuracy and data quality.
- Awareness and understanding of the ISO15189 standards.
- Excellent written and verbal communication with the ability to work well within a team.
- Flexibility to suit the service demands with the ability to prioritise and deliver to deadlines.
- Have a passion for excellent service delivery with high quality outputs.
- Working knowledge of computer based systems within the context of a medical laboratory.
What we can offer you
Auckland District Health Board (Auckland DHB) is the largest teaching hospital in New Zealand offering a wide range of tertiary and quaternary clinical services to a large and diverse population. We have state of the art facilities and aspire to provide the highest standards of patient care and staff engagement. Here is what we can offer you:
- On the job training with continuous improvement and development opportunities including a well-established in-service training programme
- A great team environment and supportive work culture
- Excellent support from experienced practitioners, Peer reviews and professional supervision
- Discounts at a variety of businesses, free eye test
To apply please click on the ‘Apply’ tab below and submit your application online attaching your updated CV and Covering Letter. If you have any queries about this opportunity or accessibility or technical issues with the online process, please contact Hamish Watson, Recruitment Consultant on HamishWats@adhb.govt.nz quoting ref #ADHB12702 to discuss how we can best support your application
Note : We are unable to accept applications on email so please apply online on this site only.
For the largest health sector job board in New Zealand, visit www.kiwihealthjobs.com
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Auckland District Health Board (Central Auckland)|
|Position type:||Permanent Full time|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.