Senior Scientist STRmix - Auckland at Institute of Environmental Science & Research Limited, Auckland
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Senior Scientist - STRmix™
AUCKLAND - Mount Albert Science Centre
Institute of Environmental Science and Research Ltd (ESR)
Mō mātou| About Us
ESR is keeping people safe and healthy through science, we help improve the safety of, and contribute to, the economic, environmental and social wellbeing of people and communities in New Zealand. We harness the ingenuity of our people, innovative science, and technology and relationships to solve problems to strengthen New Zealand's health, safety and wellbeing. We also create innovative products and services for communities around the globe. ESR is a Crown Research Institute with 400+ staff with sites across New Zealand.
The STRmix team creates world leading, award winning software that allows forensic biologists to analyse, interpret and investigate DNA profiles more efficiently and effectively. Our mission is to empower the forensic community through science and innovation. We do this through leading edge scientific research, high quality software development and comprehensive training and support delivery. Our flagship software, STRmix™, has been developed by ESR in partnership with Forensic Science SA (FSSA). Adding FaSTR™ DNA and DBLR™ to STRmix™, we provide an end to end analysis and interpretation solution.
Mō te tūnga | The role
The successful applicant will join the STRmix team, contributing to a wide variety of scientific and commercial activities supporting STRmix™ and related software. These include the provision of scientific support to assist user validation and implementation, the delivery of user training and contribution to product development.
- Provision of scientific support to customers including:
- Assistance with internal validation of Software for customers
- Assistance with the preparation of customer reports detailing Software parameters and validation
- Resolution of customer issues (using Software).
- Preparation of training materials (traditional and online) for, and delivery of STRmix™ and other related software training workshops to customers (virtual or onsite, USA/UK/Europe, ROW) as required.
- Contribution to STRmix™ and related software product development, developmental validation and user materials.
- Representation on exhibition booths at conferences and trade shows (onsite or virtual) as required.
- Representation of STRmix™ as an expert witness (USA/UK/Europe/ROW) or technical / admin review, as required.
Mōu | About you
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A BA or BSc, its equivalent or higher with papers in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry and/or Genetics to the required auditable standard (candidate transcripts will be assessed)
- University course work or training in statistics and/or population genetics.
- Extensive experience with:
- STRmix™ and DNA analysis software use
- Forensic DNA profile analysis
- Proven ability to teach complex concepts to audiences of varying abilities
- Demonstrated and comprehensive:
- Data analysis skills e.g. CE data analysis software, MS Excel, R etc
- Oral presentation skills
- Comprehensive understanding of:
- Probabilistic genotyping software
- Likelihood ratios
- Forensic validation and accreditation requirements
- Willingness to travel extensively for work (US, UK, Europe and rest of world (ROW) as required) or be available at client request to provide remote training (in ROW hours).
- Ability to work with different nationalities within a wider team.
Ngā painga | What you'll get in return
- $80k - 95k+ depending on relevant experience
- Varied and interesting work with a chance to meaningfully contribute
- Ongoing personal development, free car parking as well as above average annual leave and other benefits
- You will be working with a dedicated and passionate team of people who take pride in the quality of their work.
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to apply
Any questions about the role, please get in touch with . Click apply now to complete your application. Applications close on 31st January 2022.
ESR is an equal opportunity employer and committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to New Zealand.
We look forward to your application. Please note the successful applicant will be required to complete a pre-employment drug-screen, police records check, provide proof of academic qualifications/papers. The provision of a staff elimination DNA sample and participation in ESRs immunisation programme are conditions of employment for this position. Future employees are required to adhere to our Vaccination Premises Policy.
For questions please contact ESR.HumanResources@esr.cri.nz
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Institute of Environmental Science & Research Limited|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Science and Environment|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
|File links:||Senior Scientist STRmix - PD_0321.pdf|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.