22/012 Principal and Senior Ministerial Services Advisor at Department of Internal Affairs, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Type: Fixed Term (18 months)
Hours: Full time
Business Group: Three Waters Reform Programme
Branch: Local Government
Salary: Principal Ministerial Services Advisor $105,605 - $142,878. Senior Ministerial Services Advisor $92,135-$124,652.
- Provide high-quality Ministerial services advice to the Minister of Local Government
- Be part of a priority Government programme leading once in a generation reform of the local government sector
- Help us set the framework for the delivery of safe, affordable and environmentally sustainable three waters services for generations to come
We have two Ministerial Services roles available one Principal Advisor and one Senior Advisor. Through the provision of high-quality, bespoke services and advice, you will have the opportunity to support our Minister and our three waters reform policy and implementation teams in establishing new water services entities for the benefit of all New Zealanders.
We are looking for people who like meaningful and challenging mahi, engaging closely with experts across project teams, and who take pride in delivering on-point advice in rapidly evolving situations. These roles involve the provision of high-quality responses to Ministerial and departmental correspondence, Official Information Act requests and parliamentary questions, as well as the preparation of briefings for Ministerial engagements. In support of this work, you will ensure that there are processes and systems in place to ensure consistently high-quality outputs, while fostering continuous improvement and growth across our Ministerial services capability.
We are tackling a meaty, strategic issue in this project and we need people who like becoming a subject matter expert, while being close to the action and working at pace. An understanding of local government would be an advantage.
This is a challenging and rewarding role that will give you an insight into the workings of one of the Government s priority reform programmes.
Skills and Experience
These roles require a high level of trust and self-management, allowing you to work independently while contributing to team results. You must be able to keep the Minister and staff informed of issues that affect the workings of the Government. We are looking for:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience in drafting quality responses to Ministerial and departmental correspondence, Parliamentary Questions, OIA requests, proactive releases, Select Committee questions and briefings to support Ministers attendance at meetings
- The ability to prioritise workload and project manage to an exceptional standard
- The ability to identify and effectively mitigate risks and consistently use sound judgment on controversial or critical issues using the best evidence available
- Excellent relationship management skills and the ability to work at all levels of organisations and communities including Ministers, senior managers, local council and iwi/Māori groups, and diverse communities
- Demonstrated commitment to building process capability and giving and responding to feedback
- Experience in working with Ministers, Ministers offices and/or Select Committees
- Experience in undertaking public and stakeholder consultation
- Experience working in or on the local government system would be beneficial
Applicants must demonstrate a proven ability to effectively interpret a wide range of information and resolve issues under pressure. This role interacts with a variety of people, organisations and sectors, so the right applicant will have the ability to quickly establish and maintain excellent working relationships.
About our Team
Working at the Department of Internal Affairs, you ll have the opportunity to make a real difference to the lives of New Zealanders. We believe in a workplace culture that s supportive, collaborative and innovative. We also believe in trying hard and having fun.
The Local Government Branch is the Government s chief advisor on local government. The Branch has a large and dynamic work programme, including the Three Waters Reform Programme. This is a long-term transformational piece of work that is being undertaken in partnership with the local government sector. Following major government announcements in October 2021, the Department s Reform Programme and National Transition Unit are leading the establishment of four water services entities to provide drinking water, wastewater and stormwater services for New Zealanders.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and inclusion. We recognise a diverse workforce contributes to better business outcomes. We are committed to creating a workplace where all employees have equal access. If you are ready for a fast-paced, exciting and challenging role, where no two days are the same, show us you have the vision, drive, and level of skills we are looking for by applying through our website.
To learn more about the diverse, important mahi we do at Te Tari Taiwhenua and see why we're a great place to work, click here.
We work to make New Zealand better for New Zealanders through our four outcome areas:
- People can easily access the services and information they need
- Iwi, hapū and communities across New Zealand are safe, resilient and thriving
- People's sense of belonging and collective memory builds an inclusive New Zealand
- New Zealand is a well-functioning democracy across central and local government
Internal Affairs has a vaccination policy and employment with the Department is conditional on being fully vaccinated for Covid-19, holding and maintaining a valid My Vaccine Pass. Consideration will be given to whether medical or other genuine exemptions can be accommodated in individual cases.,
Applications close: 5pm, Monday 31 January 2022. Please identify clearly on your application which role you are wanting to apply for.
For more information please contact: Danny Shaw, Manager Ministerial Services - Three Waters on 0273780123, email@example.com
Job description: To review the full job description for Principal Ministerial Services Advisor, please click here. To review the full job description for Senior Ministerial Services Advisor, please click here. If you are unable to follow the link, please review the full job descriptions on our careers website.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Department of Internal Affairs|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Boards and Governance|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.