Casual Residential Youth Worker at Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, Bay of Plenty
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Are you looking for a challenging but rewarding career?
Do you demonstrate resilience, maturity, reliability, honesty and common-sense?
Can you work rostered shifts - early mornings, late evenings, weekends and public holidays?
Mō mātou | About us
Te Maioha o Parekarangi Youth Justice Residence, just outside Rotorua, provides a safe, secure and supportive environment where rangatahi (young people) who have offended can make changes and get their lives back on track. In addition to maintaining secure facilities, we aim to help rehabilitate young offenders.
Residential Youth Workers understand that the causes of offending are complex, and that successfully dealing with young offenders, demands action beyond simple punitive measures. We care for up to 30 young men aged 13 to 17 years old who are involved in the Youth Justice system
Mō te tūnga | About the role
Residential Youth Workers provide rangatahi with the confidence and skills to become positive contributors to their whānau and communities.
Guiding a behavioural change is a massive task and means our residential youth workers have many responsibilities, including:
- Ensuring that a safe and secure environment is maintained for the benefit of the rangatahi, staff and the community
- Supporting young offenders in their personal growth and rehabilitation with a focus on health, education, training and employment
- Working with rangatahi to help them build and strengthen relationships with their whānau and communities and encouraging them to act on referrals to services
Ngā pūmanawatanga ōu | What you will bring
- A full, clean, valid driver licence
- To meet the Vulnerable Children's Act safety checking and Oranga Tamariki vetting requirements
- A valid Visa - New Zealand Residency or Citizenship
- Resilience, initiative and proactive approach with a positive outlook
- An advantage would be a tertiary education within psychology, social sciences, social work, sports or teaching - transferrable life skills also considered
- Flexibility to be available for different shifts - mornings, evenings, weeks and public holidays
- Physically able to keep up with teenage boys
- Life experience and understanding of trauma in young people
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adapt to your audience
- Knowledge of Tikanga and Te Reo would be an advantage
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
Oranga Tamariki offer an impartial remuneration package, that offers progression annually for experience through tenure. We offer a vibrant and supportive team, flexible work options and a genuine commitment to wellbeing. We offer significant training and professional development so that you can thrive and grow. We welcome diversity and are committed to working in an inclusive and respectful way. This is your opportunity to apply your skills and experience to the wellbeing of tamariki and rangatahi.
To see all the benefits of working for Oranga Tamariki, please visit https://mahi.orangatamariki.govt.nz/working-with-us/employee-benefits/
Applications close: 26 January 2022
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
Apply online with your CV and Covering Letter. If you are an Oranga Tamariki employee already, please ensure you apply with a log in using your Oranga Tamariki email address. If you have any questions about role, please contact Mirko.Tojaga@ot.govt.nz
At Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, our highest priority is the safety and welfare of our kaimahi and the tamariki and whānau we support.
At this time Oranga Tamariki invites applications from fully vaccinated people or people with a valid medical exemption (under the COVID-19 Public Health Response (Vaccinations) Order 2021).We will require evidence of your vaccination status or a valid exemption.We will require evidence of your vaccination status at the pre-employment stage of our recruitment process.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children|
|Location:||Bay of Plenty|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.