Policy Advisor, Senior & Principal Policy Advisor | Energy & Resource Markets at Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, Auckland - Auckland;Canterbury - Christchurch;Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Discover a career with purpose at MBIE
- Solve complex policy challenges
- Multiple positions available across all levels in the Energy and Resource Markets branch: Policy Advisor, Senior Policy Advisor and Principal Policy Advisor
- Flexible working arrangements and location available
- Make a real difference for New Zealanders
It is an exciting time to join the Energy and Resource Markets branch at MBIE! We have multiple opportunities available in the Energy Markets teams and the Resource Markets team. We will nurture your career with exposure to a wide variety of projects. We offer a fun, friendly culture, and a flexi-working environment.
It is an exciting time to be working in energy sector policy! The energy sector presents some of the largest opportunities and challenges to decarbonise our economy. At the same time new technologies are transforming the sector from the inside out and are challenging our existing regulatory frameworks. We are recruiting for two teams at the centre of a number of Government priorities.
The Energy Markets Policy team provides advice on the role of the energy sector in the transition to a low emissions economy, making sure our energy markets work effectively, reducing energy hardship and enhancing our energy security and resilience.
The Resource Markets Policy Team provides advice on the management of New Zealand’s mineral and petroleum resources in the transition to a low emissions economy. This involves stewardship and regulation of the Crown Minerals regime and advising on the operation of gas and liquid fuel markets.
The majority of our teams are based in Wellington, but we are open to candidates based in Auckland and Christchurch (for the Senior and Principal roles).
MBIE has a diverse range of policy, regulatory and service delivery responsibilities that help build the economic success of New Zealand. Our purpose is to “grow New Zealand for all” and our work makes a difference to many aspects of New Zealanders' daily lives.
MBIE has a well-established public policy community. We work with multiple Ministers across a wide range of subjects; from building and resources, to science and innovation, to Maori economic development, to labour and employment, plus many more. For more information go to: MBIE Policy Community.
Our Policy Advisors and Senior Policy Advisors work on some of the most interesting, complex and high-profile government projects. They apply their expertise and experience to deliver results for New Zealand. They use their strong communication and influencing skills to engage and work collaboratively with various groups. They bring knowledge of public policy, the machinery of government, Te Tiriti o Waitangi principles, to better position New Zealand for the future.
They work across different levels to learn from experts and build their own knowledge and to share their own knowledge with others. With the wide variety of work across the different policy areas, there are numerous opportunities to develop their policy craft and build their careers within MBIE.
Our Principal Policy Advisors take the lead on complex and high-profile government policy projects. They bring their solid understanding of legislative frameworks and processes, Te Tiriti o Waitangi principles, and the wider political environment to better position New Zealand for the future. They are part of our policy leadership teams and share their knowledge to support and coach others to improve our public policy capability.
Are you who we are looking for?
We are looking for motivated people with experience in problem solving complex problems and formulating high-quality policy advice for a range of stakeholders and projects.
For the role of either Policy Advisor or Senior Policy Advisor, ideally you will:
• Have a good base of experience in public policy as a Policy Advisor/Senior Policy Advisor and/or transferrable skills from an advisory, legal or similar role
• Be a logical thinker, problem solver with a healthy level of curiosity
• Bring knowledge of policy development disciplines and processes
• Have the ability to build relationships with others and work collaboratively
For the role of Senior Policy Advisor, ideally you will also bring:
• Experience leading complex projects
• Passion for leading and coaching others to develop their policy craft and take their careers to the next level
• Strong stakeholder relationship building, influencing and engagement skills to gain the cooperation and commitment of others
For the Principal Policy Advisor, you will also bring:
• Experience leading high-profile projects and
• A track record of problem solving and providing quality advice in complex situations
• Demonstrated capability in working with Ministers, senior public service officials, internal and external stakeholders
The Energy Markets teams are seeking policy professionals across all levels: Policy Advisor, Senior Policy Advisor (fixed-term and permanent) and Principal Policy Advisor
The Resource Markets team are seeking one Policy Advisor
All applications must be submitted via our online process. Please outline your role and team preference in your application.
Email Paige Haydock at firstname.lastname@example.org quoting ref MBIE/2048 if you have any further questions.
Applications close on Sunday the 30th of January, 5pm.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment|
|Location:||Auckland - Auckland;Canterbury - Christchurch;Wellington|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Policy & analysis|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.