Residential Night Attendant at Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, Bay of Plenty
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Permanent, Full Time, Rotorua
Are you passionate about working with youth and contributing to a safe community?
Our Youth Justice Residence 'Te Maioha o Parekarangi' in Rotorua provides a safe, secure and supportive environment where rangatahi (young people) who have offended can make changes and get their lives back on track. In addition to maintaining secure facilities, we aim to help rehabilitate young offenders. Residential Night Attendants and Youth Workers understand that the causes of offending are complex, and that successfully dealing with young offenders, demands action beyond simple punitive measures.
Residential Night Attendants understand that the causes of offending are complex, and that successfully dealing with young offenders, demands action beyond simple punitive measures.
Mō mātou | About us
Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children has a commitment to putting tamariki and rangatahi at the heart of what we do. In our work, we aim to demonstrate these values:
- We put Tamariki first
- We believe Aroha is vital
- We respect the Mana of people
- We are Tika and Pono
- We value Whakapapa
- We recognise that Oranga is a journey
Mō te tūnga | About the role
Commitment to your hours is vital as the team works as one and all depend on each other, this also helps maintain the wellbeing of yourself and your colleagues. You will provide a safe and secure residence throughout the night which can include CCTV monitoring, and reporting on nightly activities.
Please note: all successful appointees will have a three week full-time induction programme before working in the residence.
In this role you will:
- Mentor rangatahi through our successful programme and through all life necessities
- Provide safety, care and supervision overnight for our young people in our home
- Escalate any risks as and when they arise
- Interact with our young people before they head to bed for the night
- Ensure routines are met and processes followed
- Monitor the grounds and keep security in order
- Assist as and where you can with the rangatahi's behavioural issues
Ngā pūmanawatanga ōu | What you will bring
- Resilience, initiative and a proactive approach
- Integrity with a calm demeanour and patience to see past what someone may be struggling with
- Independence with the ability to work alone
- Experience working with rangatahi would be a plus
- Physically able to keep up with our rangatahi
- Sound judgement, the ability to manage risk and make tough decisions
- Life experience and understanding on what rangatahi may be going through
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adapt to your audience
- Knowledge of tikanga and Te Reo would be ideal
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
Oranga Tamariki offer an impartial remuneration package, that offers progression annually for experience through tenure. We offer a vibrant and supportive team, flexible work options and a genuine commitment to wellbeing. We offer significant training and professional development so that you can thrive and grow. We welcome diversity and are committed to working in an inclusive and respectful way. This is your opportunity to apply your skills and experience to the wellbeing of tamariki and rangatahi.
To see all the benefits of working for Oranga Tamariki, please visit https://mahi.orangatamariki.govt.nz/working-with-us/employee-benefits/
Applications close: 24 May 2022
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
Apply online with your CV and Covering Letter. If you are an Oranga Tamariki employee already, please ensure you apply with a log in using your Oranga Tamariki email address. If you have any questions about role, please contact Info_recruit@ot.govt.nz
At Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, our highest priority is the safety and welfare of our kaimahi and the tamariki and whānau we support.
At this time Oranga Tamariki invites applications from fully vaccinated people or people with a valid medical exemption (under the COVID-19 Public Health Response (Vaccinations) Order 2021).We will require evidence of your vaccination status or a valid exemption. We will require evidence of your vaccination status at the pre-employment stage of our recruitment process.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children|
|Location:||Bay of Plenty|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
|File links:||Residential Night Attendant - Position Description.pdf|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.