Media Advisor at Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Full Time
- Fixed term till 4th February 2023
- Wellington Based
We're looking for a level-headed, experienced communications professional who puts storytelling at the heart of their work to join our Media Team.
Mō mātou | About us
Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children has a commitment to putting tamariki and rangatahi at the heart of what we do. In our work, we aim to demonstrate these values:
- We put Tamariki first
- We believe Aroha is vital
- We respect the Mana of people
- We are Tika and Pono
- We value Whakapapa
- We recognise that Oranga is a journey
Our purpose is to ensure that all tamariki are in loving whānau and communities where oranga tamariki can be realised. We believe that by getting involved early in their lives and showing love and care, we give children the best chance of growing into happy thriving New Zealanders.
Mō te tūnga | About the role
Our Media Support Specialists are storytellers; they form a team of mostly former journalists who're based around the country. If you're comfortable in complex and challenging environments, and enjoy being part of a team, then this could be the role for you.
- Create and build narratives to tell Oranga Tamariki stories through the media.
- Work with the organisation to find creative stories that help build confidence and understanding about the important work our organisation does.
- Through your story telling you will influence, inform and recognise accomplishments.
- Work collaboratively with external media and internal staff to generate high quality content.
- Build relationships with reporters, editors, journalists and other members of the media to become a trusted advisor and the go to for open direct and accurate information
- Anticipate trends and stories and get ahead the news in order to ensure the community is well informed.
- Work across the business with other departments including Ministerial Services and the Office of the Chief Executive.
Ngā pūmanawatanga ōu | What you will bring
We are looking for people who have:
- Previous experience working in newsrooms as a reporter or with reporters as a communications professional.
- Prior experience at creating content and have the ability to create content to support a reporter's story or to provide to social media.
- Experience at handling crisis situations involving people, with empathy, where you have already mitigated risk.
- Previously supported reporters to tell good stories well, going beyond accuracy, fairness, and balance, to informative, interesting and engaging.
- Good organisational skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
- A commitment to understanding te ao Māori.
- The ability to work in a team environment and pitch in to get the job done.
Nōu te rourou | What's in it for you
Annual remuneration for this position is between $99,315.90 and $110,351 dependent on experience, with tenure-based progression steps available above this range. We offer a vibrant and supportive team, flexible work options and a genuine commitment to wellbeing. We offer significant training and professional development so that you can thrive and grow.
This is an opportunity for your governance talent and expertise to make a real difference for tamariki and rangatahi in Aotearoa.
Our generous benefits include: https://mahi.orangatamariki.govt.nz/working-with-us/employee-benefits/
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to Apply
Apply online with your CV and Covering Letter. If you are an Oranga Tamariki employee already, please ensure you apply with a log in using your Oranga Tamariki email address.
If you have any questions about role, please contact email@example.com
Applications close: Sunday, 10th July 2022
At Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children, our highest priority is the safety and welfare of our kaimahi and the tamariki and whānau we support. Many of our roles require our kaimahi to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, in line with the COVID-19 Public Health response 2021 and in accordance with Oranga Tamariki’s Vaccination Policy.
As an employee with Oranga Tamariki you may also be asked to undertake COVID-19 tests during your employment.
We will require evidence of your vaccination status or a valid exemption if it is required for the position you have applied for.
If you have any questions around whether vaccination is required for this role please contact Info_recruit@ot.govt.nz
Oranga Tamariki is committed to developing a diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace. We provide equal employment opportunities and welcome applications from everyone who can meet the requirements of the role. We also support flexible working arrangements.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children|
|Position type:||Fixed Term Contract|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.