Senior Technician at Institute of Environmental Science & Research Limited, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Mō mātou | About Us
ESR is a Crown Research Institute with 500+ staff with sites across New Zealand.
Keeping people safe and healthy through science is our focus and our staff bring a wealth of different experience and backgrounds to deliver this expertise.
We contribute to the economic, environmental and social wellbeing of people and communities in New Zealand by harnessing the ingenuity of our people, innovative science, technology and relationships. We also create innovative products and services for communities around the globe.
The provision of an energising work environment and a safe and healthy workplace is important. We encourage our staff to maintain balanced lifestyles, recognise the importance of flexible working conditions and provide opportunities for on-going personal and professional development.
Mō te tūnga | The role
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Technician to join our successful and growing Health & Environment Science Group based at Wallaceville. This role will perform routine and non-routine laboratory analysis of clinical samples, undertake testing using virology, molecular and serologic techniques, perform calculations and interpret results.
Mōu| About you
This is a varied and challenging role for which you will have demonstrated experience and ability to work independently across a range of technical and complex tasks. You will be skilled in planning, collecting data, analysis and reporting of results.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Be registered or able to gain registration with the New Zealand Medical Sciences Council
- Experience with Arboviruses preferred but is not essential
- Experience of infectious diseases serology principles and practice, including ELISA, is essential
- Basic understanding and experience of molecular biology principles and practice, including nucleic acid extraction techniques, qPCR and DNA sequencing
- Able to handle clinical and surveillance samples appropriately
- Able to handle chemicals appropriately and prepare reagents accurately
- A good understanding of safe laboratory practice
- Demonstrate Good Laboratory Practices (GLP)
- Accuracy with numeracy and mathematical calculations and understanding of statistical measurement
- Understanding of Quality Management systems, including ISO 15189: 2012
- Computer literacy (MS Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Demonstrate the ability to work independently and to plan own work schedule.
Our laboratory operates on a rotating roster and we do require people to participate in the weekend and on call roster from time to time.
Ngā painga | The benefits
- $53k - $70k+, depending on relevant skills and experience
- Varied and interesting work with a chance to meaningfully contribute to the health of New Zealanders.
- An exciting and diverse environment.
- You will receive ongoing personal development and access to a Southern Cross group membership scheme.
- You will be working with a dedicated and passionate team of people who take pride in the quality of their work.
Me pēhea te tuku tono| How to apply
If you have any questions about the role, ESR or our recruitment process, please get in touch with email@example.com. Click apply now to complete your application.
Applications close on Friday 8th July 2022
ESR is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. Your unique talents and experience will help us deliver exceptional services to New Zealand. We look forward to your application.
Please note the successful applicant will be required to complete a pre-employment drug-screen and police records check as conditions of employment.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Institute of Environmental Science & Research Limited|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Science and Environment|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
|File links:||20220622 PD Senior Technician Virology.docx|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.