Data Scientist at New Zealand Transport Agency, Auckland
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Join the data science team at an exciting time of growth
- Explore modelling and machine learning techniques with large, complex datasets
- Wellington or Auckland-based
Provide data science, statistical and modelling expertise to help NZTA decision makers and those in the wider land transport sector solve complex problems and challenges.
The opportunity | Te Whiwhinga mahi
The Data Science team sits in and is part of the Research and Analytics team at the Agency. It aims to provide an evidence base to support and underpin smarter, evidence-based decisions, for NZTA decision makers and those in the wider land transport sector.
As part of the Advanced Analytics and Modelling team you will be making a difference to everyday lives of New Zealanders. Working closely with the Transport Agency's delivery groups, you will provide data science, statistical and modelling expertise to solve complex problems and challenges.
The role gives you the opportunity to build strong working relationships with key stakeholders to identify opportunities that would benefit from data science or other advanced analytical techniques. Your relationship with these stakeholders will be key to success and you are seen as a though-leader by providing advice as well as solutions.
The team is working in a number of emerging areas including real-time predictions; risk scoring through advanced analytical and modelling techniques; forecasting; modelling transport accessibility; graph analytics; and evaluating the effectiveness of road engineering initiatives.
You will be a self-starter who is comfortable working with complex and often challenging data. We are looking for individual with a curious and inquisitive mind, looking to step into a position to explore and create an impact.
About you | Ko wai koe
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
- An advanced level of statistical programming (SQL, Python and/or R)
- Experience in statistical interpretation and complex analysis, including the ability to find stories and insights in data
- Knowledge of ETL processes and experience working in a server-based environment
- Experience in developing both training and inference systems for machine learning pipelines
- Comfortable working on cloud environments (preferably Azure)
- Familiarity with code versioning tools (Git, Github, Azure DevOps)
- An understand of information security and discretion
- An ability to build and maintain relationships
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- A relevant post graduate qualification in statistics or another discipline requiring the analysis of complex data
Click here to view the position description.
About us | Ko wai mātou
At Waka Kotahi, the NZ Transport Agency, it all starts with our people. The organisation's performance and success depends on the people who choose to make this a great place to work and make a difference for Aotearoa. The Transport Agency has a strong future focus, understanding that new technologies and changing customer expectations mean the transport system we know today will not be the one we deliver in ten years time.
Along with our other benefits we also have new Waka Kotahi Life, Income Protection and Critical Illness Insurance scheme available for permanent employees.
Rā Katinga | Applications close: 2 August 2022
For further information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for this position you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand.
Waka Kotahi is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). At the Agency we recognise the importance of diversity and inclusion and are committed to providing a working environment that embraces these values. Please let us know if you need any support or have any access requirements that will help you through the recruitment process.
Please note that we may begin shortlisting as we receive applications. We encourage early applications as we may withdraw the advertising at any time.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||New Zealand Transport Agency|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Science and Environment|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.