Senior Solicitor at Te Puni Kōkiri - Ministry of Māori Development, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Te Whiwhinga Mahi | The opportunity
The Senior Solicitor is responsible for assisting the Manager, Legal Services to provide the highest quality legal advice on law reform, policy and programme initiatives in a manner which supports decision making, minimises legal risk, and significantly contributes to Te Puni Kōkiri's role and objectives. This includes:
- Providing the highest quality legal services to the Minister and Te Puni Kōkiri on all matters.
- Monitoring and assisting with the review of legislation impacting on Māori.
- Preparing contracts and other legal documentation as required.
- Participating in law reform initiatives, policy projects and programme initiatives as required.
- Representing Te Puni Kōkiri on inter departmental and other fora as appropriate.
- Providing assistance and mentoring to other solicitors.
- Assisting with the administration of Māori Trust Boards and other legislative entities administered by Te Puni Kōkiri.
The work and experience of the team is diverse and is an excellent environment in which to enhance your professional capability.
The appointment range for this role is $102,956 to $155,130.
Ko wai koe | About you
Ideally you will have:
- A law degree and at least 5-7 years legal experience.
- A sound understanding of the legal implications of Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
- An understanding of significant issues prevalent in the area of Māori affairs.
- A high standard of analytical, written and oral communication.
- The ability to provide accurate and relevant legal advice.
- The ability to manage work demands so that tasks/activities, both on-going and specific, are completed within required deadlines.
- The ability to work as part of a team to assist with the attainment of team objectives.
- A willingness to commit to the values of TPK and the objective of Māori development.
- The ability to work well under pressure and maintain an appropriate attitude in all circumstances.
- An understanding of tikanga and te reo.
Ngā uara ka whiwhi koe ki Te Puni Kōkiri | Working at Te Puni Kōkiri
Te Puni Kōkiri is the Government's principal policy advisor on Māori wellbeing and development. To do this, we must exert leadership and influence on the public sector system to enable and support the Government to deliver positive wellbeing outcomes for Māori.
Our vision of 'Whānau Taurikura' - 'Thriving Whānau' enables whānau, hapū and iwi to succeed and underpins everything that we do. We draw strength from our past to build an Aotearoa New Zealand where whānau can all stand, thrive, and belong.
Our people are at the heart of achieving this vision and it is our people who contribute to supporting Māori collective success by creating and maintaining relationships with iwi, hapū and whānau Māori, and Government at both a local and national level.
We are guided by our values of excellence, valuing people and relationships, working collectively and being creative and innovative. We invest in our people, and you will be encouraged to develop and contribute to your fullest potential. We believe strongly in work/life balance and understand that your whānau is important. We are also committed to your wellbeing, and ongoing learning and development. In-house Te Reo Māori training is available to our employees as well as the opportunity to join Te Puni Kōkiri Kapa Haka group.
If this opportunity appeals to you, apply now!
We are actively reviewing talent and an appointment will be made once a suitable candidate is identified. We encourage you to make your application today or get in touch to discuss more about how this great opportunity will fit with your career goals.
Applications close Sunday 14 August 2022 at 11:55pm.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Te Puni Kōkiri - Ministry of Māori Development|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
|File links:||Senior Solicitor Legal Services Job Description.docx|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.