Transport Planner at New Zealand Transport Agency, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
- Shape transport planning initiatives across New Zealand in partnership with local councils and other key stakeholders
- Help make an impact to New Zealand's transport system
- 5 weeks annual leave and 10 days sick leave per year, increasing with service
- Must have a current and valid drivers licence
- Locations: Wellington, Hamilton, or Tauranga but other locations may be considered
Te Whiwhinga mahi | The opportunities
This is an exciting opportunity to utilise your understanding of New Zealand's transport system and ability to navigate political drivers to deliver great outcomes for our customers.
As one of our Transport Planners you will be contributing to national transport planning initiatives through the phases of business case development, from confirming the strategic purpose and direction, through the benefits realisation process, to identifying a recommended programme of works and subsequent recommended project option, including support of the consenting phases.
As well as being accountable for the Waka Kotahi values and behaviours, your role has the following specific key accountabilities
- Contribute to the development, assessment and promotion of sound solutions to transportation issues that are safe, responsive, innovative and maximise outcomes while taking a whole of system approach to planning across modes, functions, place and time
- Prepare and review clear and concise investment business cases for strategies, programmes and projects with recommendations to Waka Kotahi decision makers
- Bring a critical eye to technical data to explain, in simple terms, the cause, effect and consequence
- Liaise across technical and other agency disciplines within Waka Kotahi and wider sector to draw information together and provide best for outcomes advice
- Work as part of whole of Agency "team of teams" to deliver projects within time, cost and quality standards
Ko koe tēnei | About you
To be successful in this role you will need to bring your 'know how':
- Experience, in a similar role, with relevant transport studies, including option development and evaluation
- Good understanding of the building blocks of an integrated transport system with demonstrated experience of joining the dots of strategy, systems planning, operations and technology
- Connecting people and navigating legislative process and political drivers to deliver great outcomes for our customers
- A working knowledge of the business case process to ensure this is effective and setting clear direction for Waka Kotahi and its partners
- Excellent influencing and negotiating skills
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to apply rigorous knowledge and methods
- A tertiary qualification in Transport Planning, Engineering or other relevant discipline is essential
You will demonstrate knowledge of, or a willingness to gain an understanding of Te Ao Māori and promote tikanga and Te Reo Māori. You will also have knowledge of, or a willingness to gain an appreciation of te Tiriti o Waitangi (the Treaty of Waitangi) as it applies in the public sector.
Ko wai mātou | About us
Working within the Transport Services business group you will have the opportunity to influence and deliver New Zealand's future transport system. Waka Kotahi is the largest infrastructure delivery agent in New Zealand, our work touches the lives of all New Zealanders by planning, designing, delivering, managing and operating an integrated transport system along with our partners. We have some of the most capable and motivated people in the industry providing a transport system that enables New Zealanders to live, travel, work and connect.
Along with our other benefits we also have new Waka Kotahi Life, Income Protection and Critical Illness Insurance scheme available for permanent employees.
View the Position Description
For further information, email: email@example.com
To be considered for this position you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand.
Waka Kotahi is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). At the Agency we recognise the importance of diversity and inclusion and are committed to providing a working environment that embraces these values. Please let us know if you need any support or have any access requirements that will help you through the recruitment process.
Please note that we may begin shortlisting as we receive applications. We encourage early applications as we may withdraw the advertising at any time.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||New Zealand Transport Agency|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Transport & Logistics|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.