Senior Policy Advisors, Building Policy at Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, Auckland - Auckland;Auckland - Auckland and Hamilton;Auckland - Auckland Central;Canterbury - Christchurch;Otago - Dunedin;Wellington - Hutt Valley;Wellington - Kapiti;Wellington - Masterton;Wellington - Porirua;Wellington - Tawa;Wellington - Upper Hutt;Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Discover a career with purpose at MBIE
- Solve complex policy challenges in the building and construction sector
- Work alongside passionate people and communities
- Make a real difference for New Zealanders
- Two positions available, salary range $103,290 - $132,417 plus kiwisaver and wellness benefits
The Building Policy Team provides regulatory policy advice and identifies and solves problems in the building and construction sector to support the construction of safe, healthy, and durable buildings.
What we do:
- Lead policy projects to address risks, constraints and make improvements to the performance of the regulatory system and the building and construction sector
- Conduct economic analysis to assess the impact of policy and ensure that policy intervention is proportionate to the level of risk
- Lead legislation development and changes
- Develop and review regulations to give effect to legislation
We are based in Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin. We are keen to hear from applicants from any of these areas.
About the role:
Our Senior Policy Advisors work on complex and high profile government policy projects. They apply their policy expertise to deliver results for New Zealand. They use their strong communication and influencing skills to engage and work collaboratively with various groups. They have great knowledge of legislative frameworks and processes, Te Tiriti o Waitangi principles, and a strong understanding of the wider political environment to better position New Zealand for the future.
Our Senior Policy Advisors work across different levels to share their own knowledge with others. With the wide variety of work across the different policy areas, there are numerous development opportunities to grow and build their careers within MBIE.
Skills and experience required:
We are looking for motivated people with experience in solving complex problems and formulating high-quality policy advice for a range of stakeholders and projects.
Ideally you will have:
- Experience leading complex policy projects within central government
- Wide ranging knowledge of policy development disciplines and processes
- Demonstrated capability in working with Ministers, senior public service officials and internal and external stakeholders
- Understanding of Te Tiriti o Waitangi principles and the application of these in public policy and in partnership with Māori
- Strong stakeholder relationship management skills, and the ability to influence and engage others to gain their cooperation and commitment
- Passion for leading and coaching others to develop their policy craft and take their careers to the next level
- The ability to work through ambiguity and deliver results.
You may be a seasoned policy professional looking for that next challenge or ready to take your next step into a Senior Policy Advisor role – we'd love to hear from you! You may already have some experience of policy development in the building regulatory system but this is not essential.
MBIE has a diverse range of policy, regulatory and service delivery responsibilities that help build the economic success of New Zealand. Our purpose is to “grow New Zealand for all” and our work makes a difference to many aspects of New Zealanders' daily lives. This work is all the more important with many key government priorities being delivered in 2022 and beyond. There couldn't be a better time to join us and make an impact!
MBIE has a well-established public policy community. We work with multiple Ministers across a wide range of subjects; from building and resources, to science and innovation, to Maori economic development, to labour and employment, plus many more. Our work programmes are as interesting as they are varied. For more information go to: MBIE Policy Community
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment|
|Location:||Auckland - Auckland;Auckland - Auckland and Hamilton;Auckland - Auckland Central;Canterbury - Christchurch;Otago - Dunedin;Wellington - Hutt Valley;Wellington - Kapiti;Wellington - Masterton;Wellington - Porirua;Wellington - Tawa;Wellington - Upper Hutt;Wellington|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Policy & analysis|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.