Principal Advisor Operational Policy Design at Maritime New Zealand, Wellington
Mō tēnei tūranga mahi | About this role
Our Operational Policy Team are looking for an action-orientated professional with a strong background in Operational Policy to join their high performing, collaborative team.
Our waterways define so much about life here in Aotearoa. So, it's vital every stretch - from the pristine South Island sounds to the wild West Coast waves - is well looked after. We exercise Kaitiakitanga over the maritime domain, supporting Aotearoa oceans and waterways to be safe, secure, clean and sustainable. Through our organisational strategy Te Korowai o Kaitiakitanga, The Cloak of Stewardship, we're on a multi-year journey to bring together our aroha, work and skills to ensure we can operate more strongly as stewards of the maritime domain. As part of this journey, we're now recruiting for various new roles so it's an exciting time to join us and be part of leading the change.
About the team:
The Operational Policy Team is responsible for the development, maintenance and implementation of Maritime NZ positions, operational policies and high-level processes that support other Maritime NZ groups to deliver and implement regulatory frameworks such as maritime and marine protection rules.
They also are responsible for the:
- development and oversight of key operational policies
- development, management and oversight of the operational policy and practice framework
- management of projects to fully implement new rules and legislation and significant changes to existing operational policy and practice
What you will do:
As the Principal Advisor you will provide quality insights, leadership and advice on operational policy development that helps Maritime NZ deliver the regulatory programme. You will play a key role in implementing legislation changes and in the development, delivery and oversight of the Operational Policy and Practice Framework.
In short you will use your extensive knowledge and experience to positively influence regulatory practice at Maritime NZ, turn legislation into reality and be a mentor to others.
You will also:
- Lead the development and maintenance of key operational policies, legislation implementation projects or significant practice changes.
- Provide specialist input and thought leadership on the implementation implications of new legislation and operational improvements to legislation.
- Identify opportunities and mentor others in the team
- Collaborate across Maritime NZ to ensure that operational policies are supported by appropriate practice and are effectively implemented and also to lift understanding.
- Assist in providing assurance and advice on the state of operational policy and practice framework to ELT and the Board
- Work with partner agencies to seek consistency and alignment of operational policy settings
- Develop and maintain engagement with sector stakeholders
Ideally you will have:
- Relevant tertiary qualification and previous experience in operational policy development.
- Experience implementing legislation changes in a regulatory setting involving multiple objectives and a range of stakeholders
- Strong analytical and evaluation skills, including assessing the feasibility of policy concepts
- Ability to problem-solve in complex and ambiguous environments
- Project management experience
- Previous mentoring experience
- A collaborative working style with people across all levels of an organisation
- Highly effective written and oral communication skills
- Ability to travel intermittently.
Other good stuff:
You'll be part of an excellent team where you will enjoy great employee benefits and will see plenty of scope to learn, upskill and explore your options. It's satisfying work, and our Principal Advisor Operational Policy Design is part of the engine making it all happen, so if you've been wondering what the next step could or should be in your career, we think it's time to 'navigate your next', here with us.
Applications for this role close 2 October 2022.
This is a Wellington based role. Also please note that you must have the legal right to live and work in New Zealand to be considered for this role.
Ngā taipitopito tūranga mahi | Job details
|Employer:||Maritime New Zealand|
|Position type:||Ongoing - Full Time|
|Category:||Policy & analysis|
|Attachment:||No File Attached|
|File links:||Principal Advisor Operational Policy Design PD - July 2022.pdf|
Note: You may be redirected to the employer's careers website.